For more than 20 years, the FHWA has researched and fomented new technologies and best practices for the design and construction of road tunnels. The use of underground space for transportation of goods and people has increased in the last 10 years.
The purpose of the Virtual Team on Road Tunnels (VTRT) is to develop a team of engineers who are versed in the underlining principles and the various design disciplines of tunnel engineering. Tunnels represent the most expensive type of transportation structures, where in addition to complicated design, the greatest challenges may be encountered during construction. Since the early 1930's until the latter part of the 1980's the technique of tunneling has not kept pace with the development of other technical fields and the literature on tunneling has also shown signs of declining. Hence to be able to serve as a reliable and credible information source to the field offices of FHWA, the state highway agencies, municipalities as well as the general public, the VTRT has been established to serve as follows:
VISION: Preserve and Enhance United States Tunnel Engineering Expertise
MISSION: To develop, promote and advance road tunnel engineering principles, technology, and maintenance practices in the United States through a national team of road tunnel experts.
- Form a national team of road tunnel experts to serve as a reliable and credible information source to internal (FHWA) and external (all other) customers.
- Develop a web page to include such items as:
- Enable and promote the continuous development of tunnel knowledge
- Assist AASHTO T-20 Subcommittee on Tunnels to create tunnel specifications, and advance tunnel research.
National Tunnel Inspection Standard
- Advanced Notice of Proposed Rule Making on National Tunnel Inspection Standard (11/18/2008)
- Notice of Proposed Rule Making on National Tunnel Inspection Standard (07/22/2010)
- Highway Tunnel Inventory
- Tunnel Management System (.zip, 121 mb)
- FHWA and FTA Roll Out Nationwide Tunnel Management System
- A Light at the End of the Tunnel