Skip to contentU.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Highway Administration
Home > About FHWA > Highway History > FHWA By Day


A Look at the History of the Federal Highway Administration
Table of Contents - Previous Day - Next Day
July 29
1907 At Cumberland Gap, TN, OPR begins a 12,300-foot long macadam object lesson road known as the Tri-State Road because it lies in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia. The road is completed October 9, 1908. Because of the mountainous country, an unusual amount of rock excavation was required to establish a satisfactory grade. Work was suspended for 4 months during the winter, in addition to 76 days lost because of rain or other bad weather. The total cost, including excavation, macadam, and drainage, was $7,050 per mile, while the cost of the macadam alone was $0.35 per square yard, or $2,875 per mile.
1946 An Act is approved to amend the Federal Aid Road Act of 1916 by authorizing Federal dams to be constructed so as to serve as a foundation for Federal-aid highways ($10 million made available from prior authorizations for emergency reimbursement of extra costs incurred).
1993 In a ceremony on Capitol Hill, Administrator Rodney Slater unveils the Eisenhower Interstate System sign, honoring President Dwight D. Eisenhower for his role in launching the Interstate Highway Program. The sign was designed by FHWA in conjunction with AASHTO, and representatives of the Eisenhower family, the Eisenhower Center, and The Eisenhower Society. Slater says that while honoring President Eisenhower, the new sign "marks the contributions of the thousands of employees in the Federal Government, State Departments of Transportation, and industry [who] translated his vision into the world's finest highway transportation system."
Unveiling the Eisenhower Interstate System sign: (Left to right) Representative Nick J. Rahall, WV, John Eisenhower (President Dwight D. Eisenhower's son), Administrator Rodney Slater, and Representative Norman Mineta, CA.
previous next

Return to FHWA By Day