Driving the Byway
- The byway begins at the intersection of IL 3 and New Poag Road south of Alton, Illinois.
- Follow IL 3 north for 5 miles until you reach the junction of IL 143.
- Turn Left on IL 143 and continue for 2 miles towards Lock & Dam at the Melvin Price Visitors Center in Alton.
- Take IL 143 north out of town to the junction with IL 100.
- Follow IL 100 north past Rosedale, Pere Marquette State Park, and Nutwood.
- Continue on IL 100 as it merges with IL 16.
- Turn right onto Eldred Road and follow it north to Eldred and the intersection with IL 108.
- Take IL 108 west to the bank of the Illinois River and take the free ferry to Kampsville, where the byway ends.