Driving the Byway
- Begin at the Ellsworth-Trenton town line.
- Take Route 3 heading south and stay east at the fork in the road.
- Follow Route 3 (Bar Harbor Road) as it heads east and eventually turns north to Acadia National Park. Route 3 becomes Eden Street at the Park.
- Continue to Bar Harbor.
- Take Mt. Desert St. east and turn right onto Main Street and follow that out of town.
- Take a left (east) onto Park Loop Road and follow the coastline down to Otter Cove, skirting the coast before heading north through the middle of the National Park.
- Head right just before Eagle Lake Road to rejoin route 3 again or head north to Eagle Lake Road to return to Bar Harbor to complete the loop.