Driving the Byway
The Sheyenne River Scenic Byway branches out from Valley City on I-94 both to the north and to the south. The byway also contains a few scenic "spurs" which are well signed.
South of Valley City
- Take County Highway 21 South, 16 miles to Kathryn.
- At Kathryn, turn left on County Road 38 and ride east through Kathryn following County Road 38 for two miles.
- Turn right onto Oakhill Township Road and travel it for 1/4 mile, where the road turns into Thordenskjold Township Road.
- Take Thordenskjold for 2.5 miles to North Dakota Highway 46.
- Crossing North Dakota Highway 46, Ransom County 13 continues through 26 miles of the southern portion of the drive.
North of Valley City
- Take Exit 292 from I-94.
- Go north on 8th Avenue NW.
- Turn east on Main Street Business Loop (I-94).
- Turn left on Central Avenue.
- Turn right on 12th Street NE.
- Turn left onto County Road 21 North.
- Follow well-marked byway signage through town 2.4 miles to County Highway 21 North.
- After just 1 mile on 21 north, turn west and continue in a north/westerly direction, where you will commence traveling on County Road 19 for another 10.6 miles.
- County Road 19 then changes to County Road 17 for 4.5 miles, which takes you to the northernmost end of the byway.