Driving the Byway
The byway begins in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. From there, you can explore the northern section of the byway or the southern. You may take a side trip that connects the two sections, but a high-clearance vehicle is necessary for that.
- Begin at the Geronimo Trail Interpretive Center on N Broadway (one-way northbound), take a left turn to Main St, the opposite one-way street.
- Follow Main St as it turns into S Broadway St. Stay on S Broadway St as it continues through Truth or Consequences to Williamsburg, approximately three miles.
- In Williamsburg, turn left onto NM-187 (the last intersection before entering the freeway). Travel south on NM-187 for 14 miles, following the Rio Grande to the junction with NM-152.
- An RV park overlooking Caballo Lake is at the junction with NM-152. Turn right on NM-152 and continue to the towns of Hillsboro and Kingston.
- NM-152 beyond Kingston climbs up the eastern slope of the Black Range Mountains and tops out at Emory Pass, elevation 8,828 feet.
- From Emory Pass the road winds down to the small village of San Lorenzo. It is 53 miles from the turnoff near Caballo Lake to San Lorenzo.
- The road has many twists, turns, and hairpin curves, so the driving time will be about one and one-half hours.
- You may return across the Black Range to Truth or Consequences along the byway, or take a side trip on the Trail of the Mountain Spirits Scenic Byway.
- The northern portion of the Geronimo Trail begins at the Geronimo Trail Interpretive Center on N Broadway.
- Follow N Broadway until it turns onto Main St, continue to the stop light at Date and 3rd.
- Turn right on Third, which is NM-51, and follow it to the junction with NM-179.
Dam Site spur:
- Continue on NM-51 to NM-177.
- Drive until you see the brown sign saying Dam Site.
- Return on NM-51 for two miles, to the junction of NM-179, and turn right toward the City of Elephant Butte. It is an additional two miles to the junction of NM-195.
- Turn left to go to Elephant Butte State Park and the City of Elephant Butte. Follow NM-195 for 4.5 miles, northwest until it intersects with NM-181.
- Turn right on NM-181 and cross under the I-25 overpass. Travel 2.5 miles on NM-181, past the turnoff to the Municipal Airport.
- At the intersection of NM-52, turn left and travel away from the valley and toward the distant mountains. Cuchillo is six miles from the intersection, and Winston is 28 miles.
- At Winston, turn left, traveling through the town to Chloride, 2.5 miles away. After exploring Chloride, return to Winston by the same road.
- At the Winston Store, turn left on NM-52 and drive nine miles to the junction of NM-59, leading directly toward the mountains.
- Turn left on NM-59 and follow it for 31 miles to the Beaverhead Ranger Station, where there is a work station, rest area, and large parking lot.
- It takes about two and a half hours to drive from Truth or Consequences to Beaverhead.