Driving the Byway
Driving from west to east, the Ohio River Scenic Byway generally follows the Ohio River across the southern border of three states: Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.
The Illinois portion of the Ohio River Scenic Byway generally follows the Ohio River from Missouri/Kentucky to Indiana across the southern part of Illinois.
- The byway starts at the conjunction of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers near Fort Defiance State Park. Drive IL-37 north through Cairo, Mounds, and Olmsted, IL.
- At Grand Chain leave IL-37 and turn east.
- Travel through Joppa, Metropolis, Brookport and Unionville.
- At New Liberty turn north and drive through Bay City to Golconda and IL-146.
- Continue on IL-146, following the Ohio River north and east through Pope and Hardin counties.
- Near Cave-in Rock State Park in Hardin County, turn north on IL-1.
- Turn east at the junction with IL-13.
- At Shawneetown go north to New Haven.
- Take IL-141 east to the Illinois-Indiana border where the route number changes to IN-62 and the Indiana portion of the Ohio River Scenic Byway begins.
In Indiana, the byway begins on State Route 62.
- Starting on the IL-IN border, head east on Route 62.
- Cross Interstate 164 and take State Route 66 south and east as it meanders across the state, through Tell City and Hoosier National Forest.
- In Hoosier National Forest Route 66 turns north.
- At Sulphur in the Hoosier National Forest, take State Route 62 east to Louisville and on north to Madison.
- At Madison take State Route 56 east.
- State Route 56 becomes State Route 156 and then turns back into 56.
- At Aurora, SR 56 becomes Highway 50.
- Follow this to the state line, where the Indiana part of the byway ends and the Ohio part begins.
- The byway begins near Cincinnati, Ohio on Highway 50.
- In Cincinnati take Highway 52 southeast.
- Follow Highway 52 as it meanders across the state. Near Proctorville Highway 52 becomes State Route 7.
- After Pomeroy take State Route 124 southeast towards Minersville.
- Take State Route 338 south at Racine and follow it until it reunites with SR 124.
- Follow SR 124 to Little Hocking where it reunites with Highway 7.
- The road enters Wayne National Forest about 7 miles after Marietta and exits the forest after 27 miles.
- Follow Highway 7 to the end of the byway, at East Liverpool.