#60101: Canoe Camp, Orofino

A dugout canoe rests behind an eduational sign at Canoe Camp. While occupied by ancestors of the Nimiipuu for over 4,000 years, this Nez Perce National Historical Park component site is named for the brief stay of the Lewis and Clark Expedition in September-October 1805. Here the explorers, with native assistance, felled Ponderosa pines and constructed dugout canoes for their continued journey to the Pacific.

Download Original (1800 x 1350 pixels, 1.1 MB)

Related Locations