#64010: Hamlet of Vischer Ferry

Autumn comes to a street before a white steepled church in Vischer Ferry. The Vischer Ferry Historic District was originally settled in 1671. Construction of the Erie Canal in the 1820s brought more residents to the community, many worked at the dry dock, hotel or other services required along the canal. Boat builders used Greek Revival patterns when they constructed their own homes in the village. Many of these structures from the middle to late 19th century are still extant; many are on the National Registry of Historic Places.

Download Original (560 x 452 pixels, 58 KB)

Related Locations