The Geddes-Piper House was likely to have been erected under the ownership of James Piper in the 1780s when full three-story elevations were common in Atlantic coastal towns. This home was owned by several Chestertown merchants, one of whom was the port's Collector of Customs, William Geddes. The brigantine Geddes was the scene of Chestertown's Tea Party on May 23, 1774. The original kitchen is still in the basement. Now the headquarters for the Historical Society of Kent County and the Stories of the Chesapeake Heritage Area, the Geddes-Piper House is open for tours Saturday and Sunday from 1 to 4 pm for a $3 donation (as of 2006).