Process Review and Evaluation for Statewide Hot Mix Asphalt Pavement Construction
Word Version (41 kb) | PDF Version (16 kb)
- GENERAL INFORMATION
- Project Number
- Project location
- Contract Amount
- Date of Inspection
- Resident Construction Engineer
- FHWA Inspection Team
- State Participants
- Percent work complete: __________
Percent time elapsed: ____________
- State Department of Transportation Specifications __________
- Supplemental Specifications #SS 1070 dated __________
- FHWA Technical Advisory T5040.27
- Project Special Provisions
- 19XX HMA Plant Inspection Manual.
- Project plans with typical plan sheets and notes.
- Materials Department
- I.M. 204 Testing Schedule
- I.M. 213
- I.M. 214
- Construction Manual Section 2.53
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 8
- General Information:
|Size|| || |
|Type|| || |
|Class|| || |
|Grad. No.|| || |
|AC Grade|| || |
|Additives|| || |
|Depth of Pave.|| || |
|Lift Thickness|| || |
|% RAP Material|| || |
- Has equipment been checked for compliance with Standard Spec # 2001?
- 2001.19 HMA finishing machine.
- 2001 .05 Rollers
- 2001.03 Trucks.
- Has sub-grade, subbase or lower course been properly prepared?
- Surface area clean and free of moisture.
- Tack coat 0.02 to 0.05 gal/s.y.
- If cool day, what is road surface temp. See 2303.20 for limitations?
- Is there a wire or string line to guide the finishing machine to maintain alignment?
- Compacted top layer thickness <2".
Compacted lower layer thickness<3".
- Does the forward speed of finishing machine provide the least amount of stopping?
- Are there an adequate number of trucks to provide a continuous delivery of HMA to the spreading unit?
- Is the paver hopper kept sufficiently full to prevent non uniform flow of mixture through the control gate to the augers and screed?
- Is the level of material kept at a near constant level in the augers?
- Is the temperature of the mix uniform and in proper range?
- Layer thickness < 1.5" then temperature must be > 245 degrees Fahrenheit
- Layer thickness > 1.5" then temperature must be > 225 degrees Fahrenheit
- If mixture size is 1" or 3/4" then temperature can't exceed 310 degrees Fahrenheit
- If mixture size is 1/2" or 3/8" then temperature can't exceed 330 degrees Fahrenheit
- Determine the class of compaction Class lA, lB or IC or II.
- Class lA--required for Type A & B binder and surface courses on the Interstate. May be designated for the high traffic highways. 92% density 8% voids
- Class lB--Required for Type A & B binder and surface courses for primary highways. 92% density 8% voids
- Class II--When Class I not specified and resurfacing up to and including 1 inch design thickness with no binder course ........ intended where the base structure will not tolerate Class I requirements.
- Test Strip
Test strip required when plan quantity over 1,500 tons and Class lA compaction.
- First day production< 500 ton.
- See SS 1070, Page 15 for procedures.
- Rolling Pattern
- What is rolling pattern established by test strip (if applicable)?
- # of passes with breakdown roller?
(type and vibratory mode?)
- # of passes with intermediate roller?
- Has inspector reviewed all data regarding rollers?
- How is roller data documented?
- Was inspector present during test strip construction?
- Have there been any adjustments to rolling pattern; e.g. due to job mix formula changes?
- Have densities obtained by core samples correlated well with densities obtained via nuclear gauge?
- Steel finish roller shall be used to smooth out all marks and roughness in the surface.
- For intermediate rolling under Class I compaction, the pneumatic tired roller shall be used for mixes placed after September 1.
- Has construction joint (header) and main line been checked for smoothness?
- Check appearance of surface texture for tearing, cracking and segregation.
- PLANT SITE
- Has proportioning equipment been calibrated and witnessed by the materials engineer or his representative? Documented?
- Calibration curves established/posted for gate openings.
- Type of Plant
- Have aggregate stockpiles been properly constructed?
- Bin for dumping truck.
- Separation between piles
- No coning -- shape of stockpile.
- Base for loader -- no contamination.
- Documentation of Certified Aggregate deliveries.
- Asphalt Delivery
- Check for proper source and certification.
- Is AC use within tolerance?
- Is temp of AC being recorded?
- Plant Sampling
- Have 3 cold feed aggregate gradations been taken daily?
- Has aggregate moisture been checked?
- Has Asphalt cement been sampled?
- Mix Control
- Is appropriate mix design data available?
- Is mix temperature being recorded?
- Are trucks being checked for proper loading to prevent segregation?
- Is daily tonnage of HMA wasted used on another project or sold commercially recorded?
- How is lime (anti-strip additive) controlled?
- How are fines (minus 200 sieve) collected? Are they incorporated into mix?
- Scales & Weights
- Are scales being checked for sensitivity?
- Are weights being verified?
- Do scales have digital printing recorder or automatic weight printer?
- Have scales been checked and certified?
- Are truck bodies clean, tight and in good condition?
- Do trucks have covers to protect material from unfavorable weather conditions?
- Is soapy water or other approved products available for coating truck bodies to prevent material from sticking? Diesel fuel should not be used. What type material used?
- Core Testing
- Who identifies location of cores?
- Who runs density?
- Review field book for density and per cent voids documentation.
- Daily Plant Inspection report.
- Review checks and test results in field book for completeness.
- Review daily dairy.
- Have any non-compliance issues been issued? If so, for what items? How were these deficiencies corrected?
- TRAFFIC CONTROL
- Has the contractor combined some of the stages?
- Have there been any accidents in any of the stages?
- Is the TCP being followed?
- Are all permanent signs covered?
- Is the 24-surveillance vehicle in evidence?
- Are the signs clean and in the right place?
- Are the crossovers working properly?
- Is the traffic flow going through the stage without any problems?
- Are the special signs working properly?
- Are the adhesive lines working properly?
- Are the vertical panels spaced properly, clean and in good repair?
- Is all reflective signing clean and reflecting?
- Cones if required should be 28 inches in height.