Review of Local Agency Bridge Inspection Program
Word Version (143 kb) | PDF Version (51 kb)
|Agency HQ Location:||Team:|
BIOH - Bridge Inspection Organizational Head
BITL - Bridge Inspection Team Leader
BITM - Bridge Inspection Team Member
- Qualifications of Inspection Personnel
- Available Resources
- How many bridges is the agency responsible for inspecting?
| ||Total||Fracture Critical||Underwater||Other Special Inspections|
|NBI Bridges|| || || || |
|Bridges < 20 ft|| || || || |
|TOTAL|| || || || |
How many inspections were performed during the last calendar year?
How many inspections are scheduled for the upcoming calendar year?
- Indicate the percentage of time spent on the listed duties in the last calendar year:
| ||Bridge Inspection and Rating||Bridge Design||Bridge Construction||Bridge Maintenance||Other|| |
|A|| || || || || ||100%|
|B|| || || || || ||100%|
|C|| || || || || ||100%|
|D|| || || || || ||100%|
|E|| || || || || ||100%|
- How long does it normally take to reinspect the following structure?
(exclude travel time and bridge load capacity rating time)
Three simple spans with total length of 200 feet, multi girder or beam, reinforced concrete deck, over local street. Structure is about 20 years old.
- Does the BIT inspect the following structures:
| ||Yes||No||N/A||If yes, how many?|
|Major Bridges|| || || || |
|Fracture Critical Bridges|| || || || |
|Underwater Components of Bridges|| || || || |
- Are other sections (personnel) called for assistance when inspecting the following structures?
|Major Bridges|| || || |
|Fracture Critical Bridges|| || || |
|Underwater Components of Bridges|| || || |
- What is the status of, and who conducts, evaluations of the following?
| ||No. Required||No. Complete||Who Performs?||No. Posted or Scour Critical|
|Load Ratings|| || || || |
|Scour Evaluations|| || || || |
How many bridges require posting, but have not yet been posted? If so, why not?
Have action plans been developed for those bridges determined to be scour critical?
(Please attach a copy of one.)
- Inspection Records
- Inspection Procedures
- Are written inspection procedures prepared for the BIT?
- What written procedures are available at the bridge site or bridge office?
|a. General|| || || |
|b. Special Feature Inspection|| || || |
|c. Fracture Critical Inspection|| || || |
|d. Underwater Inspection|| || || |
|e. Major Bridge Inspection|| || || |
|f. Other|| || || |
- Do you have any special procedures for any specific bridges that your team inspects?
_____ Yes (Please specify)
(Whenever it is determined that the BIT uses specific written procedures for a bridge, the review team should obtain a copy and attach it to this questionnaire
- Who determines the depth of inspection if there are no written procedures?
|a. BITL|| |
|b. Head of bridge inspection unit|| |
|c. Other (specify)|| |
- How are new written procedures distributed?
|a. Training session|| |
|b. Mail|| |
|c. General Meetings|| |
|d. Other (Please specify)|| |
- Do BITMs have specific duties conveyed to them by the BITL?
- _____ Yes
- _____ No
- Inspection Equipment
- Follow-up Procedures
- Do Agency maintenance personnel accompany the BIT on inspections?
_____ Most of the time
- Are recommendations for maintenance or repairs identified on the bridge inspection form?
- Does the BIT assess whether previous maintenance problems have been corrected?
- How do you call the attention of maintenance personnel to routine bridge maintenance problems?
_____ Written procedure
_____ Regularly scheduled meetings
How is the BIOH notified of needed repairs, and how and to whom are completed repairs communicated?
- Who does the BITL notify when emergency repairs are necessary?
_____ Bridge Section
_____ Maintenance Section
_____ Not required to notify anyone
- If a bridge requires emergency repairs, is this noted as part of the inspection report or as a separate document?
_____ Separate document
_____ Not documented
What procedures and documentation are in place to insure timely correction of emergency needs?
- Who checks proper placement of signs (load posting, clearance, speed restriction, narrow bridge etc.)?
_____ Bridge Section
_____ Maintenance Section
_____ Don't know
- What is the annual bridge maintenance budget?
|Category||Adequate||Minor Inadequacies (Corrective Action Desirable)||Not Adequate (Corrective Action Imperative)|
|A. Qualification of Inspection Personnel|| || || |
|B. Available Resources|| || || |
|C. Inspection Records|| || || |
|D. Inspection Procedures|| || || |
|E. Inspection Equipment|| || || |
|F. Follow-up Procedures|| || || |
|G. Condition/Appraisal Ratings|| || || |
Inspection Report Evaluation Form
|Bridge Name:||Evaluated by:|
|Structure ID No.:||Date:|
Inspection File Evaluation
- Written Procedures
Are written inspection procedures required for this bridge? If no, skip the rest of this section
- Evaluate the following:
Critical inspection locations identified
Inspection frequencies identified
Inspection methods identified
Discussion of deficiencies to look for
Special equipment needs identified
- Load Rating Calculations
What is the method used for calculating the load rating?
Is the HS truck used with the Load Factor method to determine Inventory & Operating Ratings?
What are the calculated ratings:
|Type 3|| ||(25.0 Tons)|
|Type 3-S2|| ||(36.7 Tons)|
|Type 3-3|| ||(43.2 Tons)|
|HS Truck|| |
What is the recommended load posting? Is it physically posted?
Is the load rating signed and stamped by a registered P.E.?
- Scour Evaluation
Has scour been evaluated in accordance with acceptable practice?
If the bridge is scour critical, has a written action plan been developed addressing:
- Installation of temporary countermeasures
- Permanent countermeasures