Project Selection Review
Word Version (21 kb) | PDF Version (6 kb)
June 14, 2002
- How are decisions made about how much Federal-aid money is spent in each of the general subject areas such as pavement (resurfacing vs. reconstruction), structures, traffic signals, other traffic control devices, safety, planning, landscaping, capacity improvements, et cetera?
- Are needs studies done to support general funding levels?
- Within each of the above categories, how are individual projects selected for inclusion in the TIP? Are management systems of any type used? Have any performance goals been established for any of the subject areas?
- How has ..DOT taken advantage of the transferability allowed in the Federal-aid Program to shift priorities around amongst the various programs (e.g. NHS transferred to STP)?
- Is ..DOT aware of the various special FHWA programs (such as discretionary bridge, ITS integration program, et cetera) that are available to supplement the normal Federal-aid apportionments?
- Is ..DOT aware of new management initiatives used by other State DOT's to manage project selection in the area of engineering/economic analysis tools, such as Life Cycle Cost Analysis, or the Highway Economic Requirements System?