Interstate Technical Group on Abandoned Underground Mines
Fourth Biennial Abandoned Underground Mine Workshop
Abstract: A Brief Synopsis of IDOT's Experience with Abandoned Underground Openings (esp Coal Mines)
Alan G. Goodfield,
Geologist, Foundations Unit, Bureau of Bridges & Structures
- Early Interstate Experience (pre-1970) -"Ignorance is Bliss"
IL-138 / I-55; Mt. Olive, Macoupin Co.
- Farmersville Mine Subsidence "We really lucked out!"
T.R. / I-55; Farmersville, Montgomery Co.
- Streator Bridge "Use of deep Drilled Shafts"
Reloc. IL-23 / Santa Fe RR / Vermilion River; Streator, Livingston Co.
- Waltonville Bridge "Reduction in Planned Coal Extraction"
IL-148 over Big Muddy River; Waltonville, Franklin Co.
- IL-158 Bridge @ Scott A.F.B. "Mine Grouting"
- IL-148 between Sesser & Waltonville "Legal Aspects of Undermining State Highway"
- IL-149 east of West Frankfort "Longwall Mining under Active State Highway"
- Joliet Road / Vulcan Quarry @ McCook, Cook Co."Rock Mechanics in Action"