Western Hydraulic Engineers Conference
- Presenter Bio/Abstract
Presenter: D. Max Sheppard, Ph.D.
Title: "A Methodology for Predicting Design Pier Scour Depths"
Abstract: A methodology for predicting design scour depths at bridge piers with and without physical model test results will be discussed. The predictive equations used in this analysis will be discussed along with laboratory clearwater and live bed scour test results. A new approach for obtaining scour depths at prototype structures from scale model tests will also be discussed.
OEA, Inc. Ocean Engineering Associates, Inc.
2531 NW 41st Street Suite D
Gainesville, Florida 32606
Phone: (352) 377-9524
Fax: (352) 377-9524
DONALD MAX SHEPPARD, Ph.D.
1969 Arizona State University Ph.D. in M.E.
1962 Texas A & M University M.S. in M.E.
1960 Lamar State University B.S. in M.E.
Areas of Interest/Expertise:
- Bridge Scour
- Structure Induced Scour
- Coastal and Ocean Hydrodynamics/Processes
- Aeolean Sand Transport
- Response of Ocean Structures to Hydrodynamic Loading
- Hydrodynamic Forces on Fixed and Floating Structures
Abbreviated Employment History:
7/84 - Present President, Ocean Engineering Associates Inc.
Full Professor, Civil and Coastal Engineering Department, University of Florida
9/81 - 5/84 Head, Oceanography Group, Mobil Research & Development Corporation, Dallas, Texas, Full Professor (on leave of absence from UF)
6/78 - 8/81 Chairman, Coastal and Oceanographic Engineering (COE) Department and Director of COE Laboratory
- Hydraulic and Local Pier Scour Analyses for Proposed Tacoma Narrows Bridge, Tacoma, Washington.
- Seawall Erosion Study for Highway A1A in Palm Beach County
- FDOT District 4 Scour Evaluation Hydraulic Model Development
- Peace River I-75 Bridge Widening and Replacement Project BHR
- Scour and Wave Loading Computations for Structures Associated with Pipeline Crossing of St. Johns River
- Chipola River I-10 Bridge Rock Scour Evaluation
- Hathaway Bridge Replacement Project BHR
- St. George Island Bridge Replacement Project technical input for BHR.
- Escambia River US 90 Bridge BHR
- Escambia Bay I-10 Bridge Scour Analysis
- Blackwater River I-10 Bridge Replacement Project BHR
- St. Johns River Hydraulics Model Development
- Hydraulics and Scour Analysis for SR16 Sebastian River Bridge Replacement Hydraulics and Scour Calculations
- Hydraulic Analysis of Trout River for Design Storm Conditions at the I-95 Crossing
- SR 10, US 90A Escambia River Bridge BHR
- Development of Single Pier Scour Equations Used in Florida
- Development of Complex Pier Scour Equations Used in Florida
- Development of Rock and Cohesive Sediment Rate of Scour Test Apparatus and Procedures Used in Florida
- Laboratory, Field and Theoretical Bridge Scour Investigations
Return to Agenda