Transportation Planning and Sustainability Guidebook
Figure 5-15. General Process of Health Impact Assessment
The HIA process moves through the following steps:
- Screening - Does existing knowledge of potential health impacts warrant additional study? If Yes, proceed to step 2. If no, document findings of screening study (negligible impact or impacts already well-known).
- Scoping - What potential direct and indirect health effects need investigated? Which population(s) should HIA focus on? Which methods, resources, and participants are appropriate?
- Evaluating health impacts - choose to use Rapid Health Impact Appraisal, Health Impact Analysis, or Health Impact Review.
- Disseminating results - to stakeholders and decision-makers
- Acting on results - adjust policy, program, project to maximize positive and minimize negative health impacts
- Monitoring and Evaluation - monitor actual health outcomes of implementation; evaluate HIA process to inform future efforts
Return to main document