Resources and Links
The links on this page provide tools and resources culled from a wide variety of industry resources ranging from Federal agencies to local privately funding organizations all supporting the goals of Recreational Trails Program.
Please note: Links to web sites outside of the Department of Transportation (DOT) are offered for your convenience in accessing related information. Linking to a web site does not constitute an endorsement by DOT or any of its employees. We will not intentionally link to or endorse any websites which offer commercial products or services.
PDF files can be viewed with the Acrobat® Reader®
Department of Transportation
U.S. Forest Service
- U.S. Forest Service, Federal Surface Transportation Programs and Transportation Planning for Federal Land Management Agencies-A Guidebook http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/php/library_card.php?p_num=0777%201814P
- U.S. Forest Service, Home Page with links to National Forests. www.fs.fed.us/
- U.S. Forest Service, Recreation opportunities. www.fs.fed.us/recreation
- U.S. Forest Service, National Trail Drawings and Specifications www.fs.fed.us/.ftproot/pub/acad/dev/trails/trails.htm
- U.S. Forest Service, Trail Accessibility Guidelines www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/accessibility
- U.S. Forest Service Trail Bridge Catalog [web only]: This website is intended to help land managers and engineers select trail bridge types, decks, rail systems, abutment systems, and materials. www.fs.fed.us/eng/bridges/index.htm.
- U.S. Forest Service Trail Fundamentals: Trail Fundamentals include five concepts that are cornerstones of effective trail planning, design, construction, maintenance, and management. http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/trail-management/trail-fundamentals/
- U.S. Forest Service, Publications. www.fs.fed.us/library
- U.S. Forest Service, Grant Programs. www.fs.fed.us/spf/coop
- U.S. Forest Service Technology and Development Centers
- U.S. Forest Service, National Wood in Transportation Information Center. www.fs.fed.us/na/wit
Department of the Interior
- Bureau of Land Management
- National Park Service
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service - administers conservation and recreation programs www.fws.gov
Other Federal Agencies
- U.S. Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board (Access Board) - Information on accessibility and the Americans with Disabilities Act. www.access-board.gov
- Recreation.Gov - A website for recreational opportunities on Federal lands. www.recreation.gov
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance - a government wide compendium of Federal programs, projects, services, and activities. www.cfda.gov
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - Promoting Physical Activity Through Trails. www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/physical/index.htm
- Corporation for National and Community Service: Information on National Service and Youth Service and Conservation Corps
- National Endowment for the Arts - grant programs may benefit trails. arts.gov
- NEPA-NHPA Section 106 Handbook - The "NEPA and NHPA: Handbook for Integrating NEPA and Section 106 Reviews" provides advice to Federal agencies, applicants, project sponsors, and consultants on how to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) Section 106 review processes.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - recreation sites. www.corpsresults.us/recreation/
- U.S. Coast Guard Office of Boating Safety - Information on recreational boating safety and recreational boating grant programs. www.uscgboating.org