Resources and Links
The links on this page provide tools and resources culled from a wide variety of industry resources ranging from Federal agencies to local privately funding organizations all supporting the goals of Recreational Trails Program.
Please note: Links to web sites outside of the Department of Transportation (DOT) are offered for your convenience in accessing related information. Linking to a web site does not constitute an endorsement by DOT or any of its employees. We will not intentionally link to or endorse any websites which offer commercial products or services.
PDF files can be viewed with the Acrobat® Reader®
- Adventure Cycling Association - a not-for-profit organization dedicated to bicycle travel, offering programs for cyclists, including a national network of bicycle touring routes and organized trips. www.adventurecycling.org
- American Council of Snowmobile Associations - national organization uniting the snowmobile community. www.snowmobilers.org
- American Hiking Society - dedicated to serving hikers and protecting the Nation's hiking trails. www.americanhiking.org
- American Horse Council - represents national equine interests and investments. www.horsecouncil.org
- American Motorcyclist Association - organization promoting and protecting the interests of on- and off-road motorcycle enthusiasts. www.amadirectlink.com/index.asp
- American Recreation Coalition - dedicated to the protection and enhancement of everyone's right to health and happiness through recreation. www.funoutdoors.com
- American Recreation Coalition: Toolbox for the Great Outdoors - information about programs available to provide high quality recreation experiences on public lands. The Toolbox is a partnership with the US Army Corps of Engineers, USDA Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, National Park Service, US Fish and Wildlife Service, and the Federal Highway Administration. www.tools4outdoors.us/
- American Trails - a national trails advocacy organization working for the common interests of all trail users, with an extensive resource library. www.americantrails.org
- Back Country Horsemen of America - dedicated to preserving the historical use of recreational stock in the back country. www.backcountryhorse.com
- Blue Ribbon Coalition - preserving our natural resources for the public, instead of from the public. www.sharetrails.org
- Equine Land Conservation Resource - Dedicated to promoting access to and conservation of land for equestrian use. www.elcr.org
- Historic Bridge Foundation - a national advocacy organization for the preservation of historic bridges in the United States. http://historicbridgefoundation.com/
- International Association of Snowmobile Administrators (IASA) represents snowmobile program administrators from 27 US states, 10 Canadian Provinces, 3 Canadian Territories, and Sweden, to facilitate communications among administrators. http://www.snowiasa.org/.
- International Mountain Bicycling Association - creates, enhances, and preserves trail opportunities for mountain bikers worldwide. www.imba.com
- The Corps Network - unites youth corps to support youth development, community service, and environmental restoration goals. www.corpsnetwork.org
- National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council - an education foundation organized to promote safe, responsible, family oriented off-highway recreational experiences. www.nohvcc.org
- National Recreation and Park Association - advances parks, recreation, and environmental conservation efforts. http://www.nrpa.org/
- Partnership for the National Trails System - facilitates interaction and cooperation among private groups and government agencies involved with the national scenic and historic trails of the National Trails System. www.nationaltrailspartnership.org.
- Professional Trailbuilders Association - a nonprofit association of professional trail contractors, designers, and consultants. www.trailbuilders.org.
- Rails-to-Trails Conservancy - enriching America's communities and countryside by creating a nationwide network of public trails from former rail lines and connecting corridors. www.railstotrails.org
- Student Conservation Association - nation's leading provider of conservation service opportunities. www.thesca.org
- Tread Lightly! - promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, restoration, and research. www.treadlightly.org
- Tread Lightly! Tread Trainer Program - designed to train participants in innovative, practical methods of spreading outdoor ethics to the public with a curriculum specifically focused on motorized and mechanized recreation. www.treadlightly.org/page.php/programs-treadtrainer/treadtrainer.html
- United Four Wheel Drive Associations - provides the latest news and information in 4WD recreation. www.ufwda.org