General Objectives of Traffic Calming
This is an archived document. For current information on Traffic Calming, visit the FHWA Office of Safety.
- To encourage citizen involvement in the traffic calming process by incorporating the preferences and requirements of the citizens,
- To reduce vehicular speeds,
- To promote safe and pleasant conditions for motorists, bicyclists, pedestrians, and residents,
- To improve the environment and livability of neighborhood streets
- To improve real and perceived safety for nonmotorized users of the streets,
- To discourage use of residential streets by non-citizens cut through vehicular traffic.