Implementation Assistance Application for Tools to Improve PCC Pavement Smoothness During Construction (R06E)
Most States have implemented smoothness specifications for concrete pavements that require measurement of the surface profile on the finished pavement for acceptance testing. However, there is often no indication of smoothness prior to testing on the finished, hardened concrete. Problems not corrected in real time can lead to significant expenditures correcting surface irregularities. Access to real-time information on pavement smoothness will help paving contractors with their process control and meet the ride quality requirements of transportation agencies. Use of these technologies results in higher quality pavements delivered in less time and for less money, thereby minimizing the impact on the traveling public.
Each application submitted from an organization or agency must have the endorsement of the Chief Executive Officer or designee. The letter of endorsement is submitted as an attachment to the application. Guidance for creating an endorsement letter appears in the application below.
When multiple applications are submitted from an organization or agency, each application must have a designated priority ranking. Please rank all applications in one grouping including all product submissions from your agency. For purposes of ranking do not separate your organization’s applications into categories for individual products, or levels of incentives such as Lead Adopter or User Incentive.
For example, if your agency submits four applications; two applications for R06C, one for C03/C11, and one for R10, your agency must rank each application in priority order from 1 to 4, with 1 as the highest priority and 4 as the lowest priority. For your convenience, you will find a box later in this application to designate the priority ranking. FHWA and AASHTO will take into consideration the agency’s rankings when reviewing and evaluating the applications for implementation assistance. Your priority ranking should be expressed as “X of Y,” as in “1 of 4.”
Available Implementation Assistance
Lead Adopter Incentive
5-10 agencies; maximum of 10 awards
In-kind services valued at approximately $60K in the form of providing temporary use of the GOMACO smoothness indicator and/or Ames Engineering’s real-time profiler equipment, and associated technical support and training. Additionally, will provide an opportunity to attend a showcase to observe these technologies and potentially other similar technologies in practice. The goal is to familiarize agencies and their contractors with this QC equipment and ideally advance its implementation.
State Departments of Transportation (DOTs), State Tollway and Thruway Authorities, local agencies, and tribal agencies. Local agencies and contractors must work with their State DOTs to submit an application.
June 27, 2014
- Commitment of State DOT leadership to use the R06E technology on one or more PCC construction projects.
- Identification of one or more specific projects on which to use R06E technology.
- Interest in using the R06E technology on a specific PCC project to evaluate improved production control and smoothness quality control benefits.
- Interest in comparing the use of R06E technology to current or equivalent smoothness technology.
- Participation in product evaluation activities including a qualitative, organizational, before/after assessment conducted by an independent consultant for FHWA.
- Willingness to share knowledge with other organizations interested in implementing the R06E technology.
- Willingness to participate in regional or national knowledge sharing events to promote the product.
Follow these steps to apply for implementation assistance:
- Review all background information
- Download the Tools to Improve PCC Pavement Smoothness During Construction (R06E) application form; and save it to your computer in order to iterate, revise, and secure approvals before uploading the final application and Leadership Endorsement Letter to this site
- Once you have completed the form and secured the required Leadership Endorsement Letter, return to this page and complete the contact information fields below
- Upload the completed application form and Leadership Endorsement Letter
- Click submit; you will receive an email confirmation that includes the uploaded endorsement letter and application form, be sure to only hit the submit button one time