Implementation Assistance Application for New Composite Pavement Systems (R21)
The New Composite Pavements Systems (R21) product provides detailed performance data on existing composite pavement systems, and offers step-by-step guidance on two types of composite pavements (Hot-Mix Asphalt (HMA) over Portland Cement Concrete (PCC) and PCC over PCC [constructed wet on wet]) using procedures consistent with the Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design Guide (MEPDG).
Each application submitted from an organization or agency must have the endorsement of the Chief Executive Officer or designee. The letter of endorsement is submitted as an attachment to the application. Guidance for creating an endorsement letter appears in the application below.
When an organization or agency submits multiple applications, it must designate priority. Please rank each application in a single grouping, including all product submissions from your agency. Do not separate your organization's applications into categories for individual products, or levels of incentives (i.e., Lead Adopter or User Incentive).
For example, if your agency submits four applications (one for C02/C08/C09/C12/C15, one for R01A, one for R16, and one for R07), your agency must rank each application in priority order from 1 to 4, with 1 as the highest priority and 4 as the lowest priority. For your convenience, you will find a box later in this application to designate the priority ranking. FHWA and AASHTO will take into consideration the agency’s rankings when reviewing and evaluating the applications for implementation assistance. Your priority ranking should be expressed as "X of Y," as in "1 of 4."
Available Implementation Assistance
Lead Adopter Incentive
Funding up to $300,000 per applicant is available to be applied to the construction of a new composite pavement project. Included is technical assistance from FHWA’s Office of Asset Management, Pavement, and Construction and Office of Technical Services.
State Departments of Transportation (DOTs), State Tollway and Thruway Authorities, local agencies, and tribal agencies. Local agencies and contractors must work with their State DOTs to submit the application.
June 27, 2014
- Interest in comparing the use of new composite pavement applications to currently used products.
- Commitment of agency leadership to use composite pavement on a new project.
- Identification of one or more specific projects to use composite pavement. Composite pavements are ideal for projects:
- in which recycling and sustainability are important considerations.
- where high quality aggregates for PCC are not locally available.
- where surface long-term durability, low noise, or rapid renewal conditions are desired.
- that add lanes to existing PCC or HMA/PCC pavements.
- on old rural, low-volume PCC highways where PCC recycling and local aggregates can provide cost-effective long-life pavements.
- in urban areas with high congestion and high cost of lane closures.
- to provide long-life pavement with minimal fatigue to the PCC.
- Participation in product evaluation activities including a qualitative, organizational, before/after assessment conducted by an independent consultant for FHWA.
- Willingness to share knowledge with other organizations interested in implementing new composite pavement systems.
- Willingness to participate in regional or national knowledge sharing events to promote the product.
Follow these steps to apply for implementation assistance:
- Review all background information located on this product's application page.
- Download the New Composite Pavement Systems (R21) application form; and save it to your computer in order to iterate, revise, and secure approvals before uploading the final application and Leadership Endorsement Letter to this site.
- Once you have completed this form and secured the required Leadership Endorsement Letter(s), return to application page and complete the contact information fields.
- Upload this form and the Leadership Endorsement Letter to the page.
- Click submit; you will receive an email confirmation that includes the uploaded endorsement letter and application form.