The page you requested has moved and you've automatically been taken to its new location.
Please update your link or bookmark after closing this notice.
HEP Research Program Frequently Asked Question
- What is the main focus of the research program within the Office of Planning, Environment, and Realty?
- The research funding mechanism was changed by legislation, but the research program areas remain similar and are focused on strengthening transportation planning and environmental decision-making.
- The research program area has a national focus to improve transportation planning, processes, programming, operations, and coordination.
- How is HEP's research coordinated with other transportation research?
- Research is coordinated through all programs including:
- The Strategic Highway Research Program 2 (SHRP2) funding will help transportation agencies begin deploying products developed under the second Strategic Highway Research Program (SHRP).
- The Center for Environmental Excellence, developed in cooperation with FHWA, continues to promote environmental stewardship and innovative ways to streamline the transportation delivery process.
- The National Cooperative Highway Research Program conducts research in problem areas that affect highway planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance nationwide.
- The Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center which provides FHWA and the world highway community with research and development related to new highway technologies.
- How is research funded?
- o The FHWA Office of Planning, Environment and Realty (HEP) receives funding from two programs under MAP-21:
- The Highway Research and Deployment Program (HRD) $13.5 million is reserved for activities that strengthen transportation planning and environmental decisionmaking and replaces the STEP program with a new program focused on environment, planning and real estate services.
- The Technology and Innovation Deployment Program (TIDP) provides $2.5 million annually for technology deployment in environment and planning.
- Who can I contact for more information?