The key issues, observations and options for consideration identified in Tasks 1, 2 and 3 have been reviewed and condensed to a concise set of six primary recommendations. Through these six primary recommendations, this report seeks to present a reasonable agenda for action: one that is significant in its beneficial impact for the National Scenic Byways Program and the America's Byways® collection, and possible to accomplish within the immediate to near future.
The six primary recommendations are:
- Adopt the "Land and People" Approach.
- Establish annual management, goal setting, and achievement reports for all byways. Adopt a grant status and performance evaluation. Produce an annual Program summary report.
- Establish a reasonable process for re-designation.
- Integrate the concept of enhancing byway quality into corridor management planning, grants, performance reports, re-designation, and marketing.
- Perform community outreach.
- Review and consider alternate programs, policies and actions for the America's Byways® Collection and the National Scenic Byways Program.