FHWA-NSB Program Staff
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) manages the National Scenic Byways Program as a community based program. The FHWA Headquarters staff is based in Washington, DC. They work closely with the FHWA division offices in each State in administering the program. The division office byway contacts, in turn, work day to day with the State scenic byways coordinators on all matters affecting grants and nominations.
Overall Responsibilities of FHWA:
- Provide overall program and policy direction, including responsibility for FHWA's agreements for the operation of the program websites.
- Solicit and review annual grants. Prepare decision materials for use by the U.S. Secretary of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administrator who select projects for funding. Oversee budget and financial accounts for the program.
- Solicit and review nominations for designation as one of America's Byways®: National Scenic Byways and All-American Roads. Prepare decision materials for use by the Secretary of Transportation and the Administrator who select roads for designation.
- Market the America's Byways brand at state, region and national levels by participating in trade shows, conferences, tourism and transportation-related activities.
- Identify and execute both public and private partnership opportunities to increase awareness of America's Byways and support the vision of the National Scenic Byways Program.
FHWA Program Team in Washington, D.C.:
- Leads and directs the National Scenic Byways Program
- Shapes FHWA policy affecting byways, grants and nominations
- Forms and nurtures inter-agency, public and private partnerships
- Provides program and technical assistance on grants and nominations