STEP 2010 Overview Handout
Surface Transportation Environment and Planning Cooperative Research Program
5 Facts You Should Know About STEP
- STEP is a federally administered research effort to help improve the understanding of the relationship between surface transportation, planning, and the environment.
- STEP funds can be awarded to state/local governments, metropolitan planning organizations, universities, federal agencies, and the private sector.
- STEP stakeholder input is used to help identify and prioritize STEP research topics.
- More STEP information and research results are available at: www.fhwa.dot.gov/hep/step/index.cfm
STEP is a Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) research program authorized in the "Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A legacy for Users" (SAFETEA-LU).
Environment, Planning and Real Estate Initiatives
STEP research improves state of the practice regarding the impact of transportation on the environment.
- Climate Change
- Economic Development Case Studies
- Effects of Commercial Electronic Variable Message Signs on Drivers
- Health and Environmental Benefits of Walking and Biking
- Improving Project Delivery
- Linking Land Use and Planning
- Mobile Source Emissions Analysis
- Stormwater Management Techniques
The following STEP tools are developed in partnership with state and local government.
- Census Transportation Planning Package
- FHWA Traffic Noise Model version 3.0 Development
- GIS for Transportation Applications Database
- Global Positioning System Tool for Corridor Vegetation Inventories
- Right of Way Professional Competency Navigator Tool
- Web-based Biological Assessment Tool
Through STEP funding, the following publications were developed to support the various emphasis areas:
Real Estate Services
For further information on each publication, please contact the emphasis area representative.
How to Get Involved with STEP
Stakeholders are involved in a variety of ways. The information below provides tips for stakeholder participation.
- Review proposed FY2010 STEP Implementation Strategy, which outlines the likely research priorities for the year at: www.fhwa.dot.gov/hep/step/about_step/strategy/
- Develop and submit feedback on suggested lines of research that are related to the proposed STEP research priorities at: http://knowledge.fhwa.dot.gov/cops/step.nsf/home (link no longer active 5/12)
- Review Annual STEP Plan on the STEP website, once approved by HEP Associate Administrator at: www.fhwa.dot.gov/hep/step/resources/research_plans/
- After the STEP Plan has been approved, monitor FEDBIZOPPS.GOV. Funding opportunities will be posted at: www.fbo.gov
Stakeholders should contact individual STEP emphasis area representatives to discuss the status of research in specific areas. STEP contacts are located on the STEP website-www.fhwa.dot.gov/hep/step/contacts/
Publication No. FHWA-HEP-10-012, January 2010
PDF files can be viewed with the Acrobat® Reader®