U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
Design Guide for Precast UHPC
Waffle Deck Panel System, including Connections
- Issa, M. A., Yousif, A. A., and Issa, M. A. "Experimental Behavior of Full-Depth Precast Concrete Panels for Bridge Rehabilitation." ACI Structural Journal. V. 97, No. 3, May-June 2000. pp. 397-407.
- Knudsen, C. V. "Redecking of a Bridge with Precast Concrete." Civil Engineering. ASCE, V. 50, No. 4, April 1980. pp. 75-77.
- Slavis, C. "Precast Concrete Deck Reconstruction." PCI Journal. V. 28, No. 4, July-August 1983. pp. 120-135.
- Berger, R. H. "Full-Depth Modular Precast Prestressed Bridge Decks." Bridges and Culverts. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. No. 903. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies. Washington, DC. 1983. pp. 52-59.
- Issa, M. A., Idriss, A., Kaspar, I. I., and Khayyat, S. K. "Full Depth Precast and Precast, Prestressed Concrete Bridge Deck Panels." PCI Journal. January-February 1995, pp. 59-80.
- Issa, M. A., Cyro do V., Abdalla, H., Islam, M. S., and Issa, M. A. "Performance of Transverse Joint Grout Materials in Full-Depth Precast Concrete Bridge Deck Systems," Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI) Journal. V. 48, no. 4, July-August 2003. pp. 92-103.
- Bierwagen, D., and Abu-Hawash, A. "Ultra High Performance Concrete Highway Bridge." Proceedings of the 2005 Mid-Continent Transportation Research Symposium, Ames, Iowa. 2005. pp.1-14.
- Keierleber, B., Bierwagen, D., Wipf, T., and Abu-Hawash, A. "Design of Buchanan County, Iowa Bridge Using Ultra-High Performance Concrete and Pi-Girder Cross Section." Proceedings of the Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute National Bridge Conference, Orlando, FL. 2008.
- Wipf, T. J., Phares, B. M., Sritharan, S., Degen, E. B., and Giesmann, T. M. Design and Evaluation of a Single-Span Bridge Using Ultra-High Performance Concrete. IHRB Project TR-529. Iowa State University, Ames, IA. September 2009.
- Rouse, J. M., Wipf, T. J., Phares, B., Fanous, F., and Berg, O. Design, Construction, and Field Testing of an Ultra High Performance Concrete Pi-Girder Bridge. IHRB Project TR-754. Iowa State University, Ames, IA. January 2011.
- Schmidt, M., and Fehling, E. "Ultra-High-Performance Concrete: Research, Development and Application in Europe." 7th International Symposium on Utilization of High Strength High Performance Concrete, Vol. 1. 2005. pp. 51-77.
- Graybeal, B. Material Property Characterization of Ultra-High Performance Concrete, Federal Highway Administration, Report No. FHWA-HRT-06-103. McLean, VA. 2006.
- Ahlborn, M., T., Peuse, J., E., Misson, L., D. Ultra-High-Performance-Concrete for Michigan Bridges Material Performance – Phase I. Research report RC-1525, Michigan Department of Transportation Construction and Technology Division, Lansing, MI. 2008.
- Perry, V., and Zakariasen, D. "First Use of Ultra-High Performance Concrete for an Innovative Train Station Canopy." Concrete Technology Today, August 2004, Vol. 25, No. 2. pp. 1-2.
- Kollmorgen, G.A. "Impact of Age and Size on the Mechanical Behavior of and Ultra-High Performance Concrete." MS Thesis in Civil Engineering, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI. 2004.
- Graybeal, B., and Stone, B. Compression Response of a Rapid-Strengthening Ultra-High Performance Concrete Formulation. Federal Highway Administration. Report No. FHWA-HRT-12-065. McLean, VA. 2012.
- Graybeal, B. Analysis of an Ultra-High Performance Concrete Two-Way Ribbed Bridge Deck Slab. TECHBRIEF, FHWA-HRT-07-055. Federal Highway Administration. McLean, VA. 2007.
- Sritharan, S., Bristow, B., and Perry, V. "Characterizing an Ultra-High Performance Material for Bridge Applications under Extreme Loads." Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on High Performance Concrete, Orlando, FL. 2003.
- Acker, P., and Behloul, M. Ductal® Technology: A Large Spectrum of Properties, Ultra High Performance Concrete, Kassel, Germany, September 13-15, 2004. pp. 11-23.
- Association Française de Génie Civil (AFGC). Ultra High Performance Fibre-Reinforced Concretes, Interim Recommendations. AFGC Publication, France. 2002.
- Gowripalan, N., and Gilbert, R. I. Design Guidelines for Ductal Prestressed Concrete Beams. School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The University of NSW, May 2000. 53 pp.
- Japan Society of Civil Engineers (JSCE). "Recommendations for Design and Construction of High Performance Fiber Reinforced Cement Composites with Multiple Fine Cracks (HPFRCC)." Concrete Committee – Concrete Engineering Series 82, Japan. 2008.
- Graybeal, B. Structural Behavior of Ultra-High Performance Concrete Prestressed I-Girders. Federal Highway Administration, Report No. FHWA-HRT-06-115. McLean, VA. 2006.
- Graybeal, B., and Baby, F., "Development of Direct Tension Test Method for Ultra-High-Performance Fiber-Reinforced Concrete." ACI Materials Journal, V. 110, No. 2, March-April 2013. pp. 177-186.
- Bonneau, O., Poulin, C., Dugat, J., Richard, P., and Aïtcin, P. C. "Reactive Powder Concretes: From Theory to Practice." Concrete International. April, Vol. 18, No. 4. 1996. pp. 47-49.
- Vande Voort, T. L., Suleiman, M. T., and Sritharan, S. Design and Performance Verification of UHPC Piles for Deep Foundations. Final Report IHRB Project TR-558. Iowa State University – Center for Transportation Research and Education. Ames, IA. 2008.
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO). AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, 6th edition, Washington, DC. 2010.
- American Concrete Institute (ACI). Report on High Strength Concrete. ACI 363R-10. ACI. Farmington Hills, MI. 2010.
- Lee, M. G., Chiu, C. T., and Y. C. Wang. "The Study of Bond Strength and Bond Durability of Reactive Powder Concrete." Journal of ASTM International. July/August, Vol. 2, No. 7. 2005. pp. 104-113.
- Roux, N., Andrade, C., and Sanjuan, M. A. "Experimental Study of Durability of Reactive Powder Concretes." Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. February 1996, Vol. 8, No. 1. pp. 1-6.
- Bonneau, O., Lachemi, M., Dallaire, E., Dugat, J., and Aïtcin, P. C. "Mechanical Properties and Durability of Two Industrial Reactive Powder Concretes." ACI Materials Journal. July-August, Vol. 94, No. 4. 1997. pp. 286-290.
- Schmidt, M., Fehling, E., Teichmann, T., Bunje, K., and Bornemann, R. "Ultra-High Performance Concrete: Perspective for the Precast Concrete Industry." Concrete Precasting Plant and Technology. Vol. 69, No. 3. 2003. pp. 16-29.
- Vernet, C.P. "Ultra-Durable Concretes: Structure at the Micro- and Nanoscale." MRS Bulletin. May, Vol. 29, No. 5. 2004. pp. 324-327.
- VSL Proprietary Limited. Introduction to Ductal® – Frequently Asked Questions. VSL Proprietary Limited. 2003. http://www.ductal.com/Introduction%20to%20 Ductal.pdf.
- Tuchlinski, D., Heqqer, J., and Kommer, B. "Studies on Prestressed Concrete Beams made from UHPC." Concrete Precasting Plant and Technology. Vol. 72, No. 1. 2006. pp. 14-20.
- Graybeal, B. Behavior of Field-Cast Ultra-High Performance Concrete Bridge Deck Connections under Cyclic and Static Structural Loading. FHWA-HRT-11-023, Office of Infrastructure Research & Development, Federal Highway Administration. McLean, VA. 2011.
- Voo, J. Y., Foster, S. J., Gilbert, R. I., and Gowripalan, N. "Design of Disturbed Regions in Reactive Powder Concrete Bridge Girders." High Performance Materials in Bridges: Proceedings of the International Conference, Kona, Hawaii, July 29-August 3, 2001. Ed. by Azizinamini, A., Yakel, A., and M. Abdelrahman. American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, VA. pp. 117-127.
- Heimann, J. The Implementation of Full Depth UHPC Waffle Bridge Deck Panels: Final Report. FHWA-HIF-13-031. Federal Highway Administration, McLean, VA. 2013.
- Aaleti, S., Sritharan, S., Bierwagen, D., and Wipf, T., J. "Structural Behavior of Waffle Bridge Deck Panels and Connections of Precast Ultra-High-Performance Concrete: Experimental Evaluation." Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. No. 2251. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, DC. 2011. pp. 82-92.
- Aaleti, S., Sritharan, S., Rouse, M., Wipf, T. Phase1: The Structural Characterization of UHPC Waffle Bridge Deck Panels and Connections. IHRB Project TR-614. Iowa State University. Ames, Iowa. 2010.
- Harris, D. K., and Roberts-Wollmann, C. L. Characterization of the Punching Shear Capacity of Thin Ultra-High Performance Concrete Slabs. VTRC 05-CR26 final report, Virginia Department of Transportation. 2005.
- Rouse, M., Honarvar, E., Aaleti, S., Sritharan, S., and Wipf, T. Phase 2: The Structural Characterization of UHPC Waffle Bridge Deck Panels and Connections. IHRB Project TR-614 Report. Iowa State University, Ames, IA. 2012.
- Iowa Department of Transportation. LRFD Bridge Design Manual. http://www.iowadot.gov/bridge/policy/52DecklrfdJa13.pdf.
- Aaleti, S., Sritharan, S., and Abu-Hawash, A. "Innovative UHPC-Normal oncrete composite bridge deck," 2nd International Symposium on Ultra-High Performance Fibre- Reinforced Concrete (UHPFRC): Designing and Building with UHPFRC: From Innovation to Large Scale Realizations, France, 2013.
- Marcu, S., Green, G., and Graybeal, B. "Performance of Deck-Level Connections between Precast Concrete Components – Concept and Early Results." PCI National Bridge Conference, Nashville, TN. September 29-October 2, 2012.
- French, C. E., Shield, C. K., Klaseus, D., Smith, M., Eriksson, W., Ma, Z. J., Zhu, P., Lewis, S., and Chapman, C. E. Cast-in-Place Concrete Connections for Precast Deck Systems. NCHRP Web-Only Document 173. National Cooperative Highway Research Program. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies. Washington, DC. January 2011.
- Hartwell, D. "Laboratory Testing of Ultra High Performance Concrete Deck Joints for Use in Accelerated Bridge Construction." MS thesis. Iowa State University. 2011.
- Culmo, M. Connection Details for Prefabricated Bridge Elements and Systems. U.S. DOT, Federal Highway Administration. McLean, VA. March 2009.
- Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI). State-of-the-Art Report on Full-Depth Precast Concrete Bridge Deck Panels. PCI. Chicago, IL. 2011.
- Badie, S. S., and Tadros, M. K. Full-Depth Precast Concrete Bridge Deck Panel Systems. NCHRP Report 584. National Cooperative Highway Research Program. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies. Washington, DC. 2008.
- Graybeal, B. Ultra-High Performance Concrete Composite Connections for Precast Concrete Bridge Decks. Federal Highway Administration. Report No. FHWA-HRT-12-042. McLean, VA. 2012.
- Bank, L. C., Oliva, M. G., and Russell, J. S. Full Depth Precast Concrete Highway Bridge Decks. Report to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI. October 2007.
- Carter, J. W., III, Pilgrim, T., Hubbard, F. K., Poehnelt, T., and Oliva, M. "Wisconsin’s Use of Full-Depth Precast Concrete Deck Panels Keeps Interstate 90 Open to Traffic." PCI Journal. January-February 2007.
- Hieber, D. G., Wacker, J. M., Eberhard, M. O., and Stanton, J. F. State-of-the-Art Report on Precast Concrete Systems for Rapid Construction of Bridges. Washington State Department of Transportation. March 2005.
- Frosch, R. J., Ramirez, J. A., and Price, S. Innovative Bridge Construction Program: Implementation of Full-Depth Bridge Deck Panels in Indiana. Publication FHWA/IN/JTRP-2009/34. Joint Transportation Research Program, Indiana Department of Transportation and Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN. 2010.
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation. LRFD Bridge Manual, Chapter 40 – Bridge Rehabilitation. Madison, WI. July 2012.
- Gordon, S. R., and May, I. M. "Precast Deck Systems for Steel-Concrete Composite Bridges." Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers. Bridge Engineering 160. Issue BE1. 2007. pp. 25-35.
- Badie, S. S., Morgan Girgis, A., Tadros, M., and Nguyen, N. "Relaxing the Stud Spacing Limit for Full-Depth Precast Concrete Deck Panels Supported on Steel Girders (Phase I)." Journal of Bridge Engineering. 15.5. 2010. pp. 482-492.
- Mekulasi, F. "Horizontal Shear Connectors for Precast Prestressed Bridge Deck Panels." MS thesis. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. 2002.
- Oliva, G. M., Bank, C. L., and Russell, S. J. "Full Depth Precast Concrete Highway Bridge Decks." Report to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, October 2007.
- Utah Department of Transportation. Full Depth Precast Concrete Deck Panel Manual. Utah DOT. Salt Lake City, UT. 2008.
- Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL). "Instructions for Using the Portable Skid Resistance Tester." Road Note 27. Transport and Road Research Laboratory HMSO. Wokingham, Berkshire, UK. 1969.
Page last modified on June 21, 2016