U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
|Submission of Newspaper Articles to Office of Public Affairs|
||August 20, 1976
- PURPOSE. To request FHWA Regional and Division Offices to furnish
the Office of Public Affairs with local newspaper clippings on highway-related
problems and programs.
- In the past Regional and Division Offices have periodically furnished the
Office of Public Affairs with local newspaper clippings on highway-related problems and programs.
- These clippings have been invaluable in keeping Washington Headquarters
personnel informed on controversial and substantive highway-related problems
and programs at the State and local government level. Moreover, much of the
material has been useful in assuring that the weekly "Round-Up of FHWA News"
provides a representative picture of highway activities throughout the Nation.
- Recently, however, the flow of newspaper clippings has greatly diminished
with only about one-half of the Division Office offices submitting such materials
on either a frequent or intermittent basis.
- ACTION. It is requested that each Regional and Division Office take
particular care to routinely review local newspapers, journals, magazines, etc.
for appropriate reportorial, editorial, or public commentary on highway matters,
and furnish appropriate clippings to the Office of Public Affairs on as current
a basis as possible.
Werner A. Siems
Director of Public Affairs