U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
|PROCEDURES FOR CONTROL OF EXPENDITURES FOR THE PURCHASE OF PERIODICALS,
MAGAZINES, PROFESSIONAL JOURNALS, AND RESEARCH REPORTS|
||June 25, 1982
- PURPOSE. To issue procedures for coordinating requests for purchase
of publications and subscriptions to periodicals, magazines, professional journals,
and research reports.
- BACKGROUND. During Fiscal Year 1981, Washington Headquarters and
regional office staffs assessed their subscription requirements as part of an
effort to reduce costs. As a result of the assessment, about 400 subscriptions
were targeted for cancellation. This reduction decreased subscription costs
in Fiscal Year 1982 by approximately 25 percent.
- Washington Headquarters
(1) Associate Administrators and Staff Office Directors, or their designees,
are responsible for reviewing all requests for publications and paid subscriptions.
(2) Office of Management Systems, Publications and Visual Aids (P&VA) Branch, is responsible for:
(a) maintaining an inventory of the paid subscriptions of Washington Headquarters offices, and
(b) reviewing the subscription requests of Washington Headquarters offices
prior to purchase to assure no unnecessary duplication of subscription purchases.
- Regional Offices and Direct Federal Divisions. Regional Administrators
and Direct Federal Division Engineers areresponsible for establishing
procedures within their respective organizations that meet the intent of this Notice.
- PROCEDURES. To maintain cost control, and to prevent undue duplication
of subscriptions, the following procedures are established for processing
subscription requests in Washington Headquarters:
- Requesting offices will forward all requisitions for the purchase
of publications and paid subscriptions(including organization memberships
which provide paid subscriptions) to the P&VA Branch for clearance.
Requisitions will contain a justification statement to assure that the
requested publication or subscription is essential to the performance
of official business.
- The P&VA Branch will forward cleared subscription requests to
the Office of Contracts and Procurement for processing.
Associate Administrator for