U. S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
July 14, 1995
(1) Within Chapters 2 through 8, the following changes have occurred:
(a) Mission and function statements for the Office of the Federal Highway Administrator down to the office-level structure have been streamlined.
(b) Branch-level functional statements have been removed. (NOTE: The Streamlining Implementation Plan issued November 8, 1994, calls for the submission of proposals to eliminate the Headquarters branch-level organizations by June 30, 1995. All branch-level organizations are hereby deleted from the Manual in anticipation of these proposals. Any related changes affecting division-level and higher organizations will be issued in a future transmittal.)
(2) Chapter 1 (General), Section 3 (Organization Approval and Documentation) is changed to update current organization approval provisions.
(3) Associate Administrator organizations are documented as "Offices", e.g., Office of Policy, Office of Program Development, etc., to reflect current usage. The existing organization units reporting to Associate Administrators will retain their current office designations.
(4) Chapter 3 (Office of Policy), Section 3 (Office of Policy Development) and Section 4 (Office of Highway Information Management) are changed to reflect revised functional statements for all six divisions within these two offices and to abolish the branch-level structure within the two divisions in the Office of Policy Development.
(5) Chapter 8 (Office of Administration), Section 5 (Office of Acquisition Management) is changed to:(1) reflect the new title for the previous Office of Contracts and Procurement, (2) transfer the small purchases function out of the Highway Support Services and Small Purchases Division to the Technical/Policy Team, and (3) retitle the Highway Support Services and Small Purchases Division as the Highway Support Services Division.
(6) Chapter 9 (Federal-Aid Regions), Section 1 (General) and Section 2 (Federal-Aid Regional Headquarters Organization) are revised to replace detailed office-by-office functions with overall concise, generic functions.
(1) Chapter 4, (Administrative), Section 2 (Financial Management) and Section 5 (Other Approvals) have been changed to document the redelegation of the authority to Office Directors in Washington Headquarters, Office Directors and Division Administrators in the regions, and Federal Lands Highway Division Engineers to authorize and approve reimbursement of actual subsistence expenses in the performance of official travel.
(2) Chapter 4, Section 3 (Management Services) is revised to reflect the delegation to the Regional Administrators of the authority to approve Federal-aid division office organization changes.
(1) Chapter 2 (Office of the Administrator/Staff Offices/ITS Joint Program Office), Section 6 (Intelligent Transportation Systems Joint Program Office) is changed to reflect: (1) the new title for the previous Joint Intelligent Vehicle-Highway Systems Program Office and (2) the abolishment of all substructures (one staff and two divisions).
(2) Chapter 5 (Office of Program Development), Section 3 (Office of Environment and Planning) is changed to document the functions of the new Intermodal and Statewide Programs Division brought about by the consolidation of the Statewide Planning Division and Intermodal Division.
(3) Chapter 6 (Office of Safety and System Applications), Section 2 (Office of Highway Safety) is changed to document: (a) the retitling of the Safety Technology and Information Management Division as the Safety Design and Operations Division and the Safety Management andPrograms Division as the Safety Management and Policy Division and (b) revised functional statements for both divisions. Section 3 (Office of Traffic Management and Intelligent Transportation Systems Applications) is changed to reflect: (a) the new title for the previous Office of Traffic Management and Intelligent Vehicle-Highway Systems Applications and (b) the abolishment of three divisions and two branches.
(4) Chapter 7 (Office of Motor Carriers):
(a) Section 2 (Office of Motor Carrier Planning and Customer Liaison) reflects: (1) retitling of the Office of Program Management Support and one of its divisions, (2) abolishment of one division, and (3) revised functional statements.
(b) Section 3 (Office of Motor Carrier Research and Standards) reflects retitling of Office of Motor Carrier Standards and three of its divisions.
(c) Section 4 (Office of Motor Carrier Safety and Technology) documents: (a) mission and functional statements of this new office, which was established, in part, by transferring all program development activities out of the Office of Motor Carrier Field Operations as well as functions from the abolished Commercial Vehicle Operations Staff and (b) the establishment of three new divisions.
(d) Section 5 (Office of Motor Carrier Information Analysis) reflects retitling of the Office of Motor Carrier Information Management and its two divisions.
(e) Section 6 (Office of Motor Carrier Field Operations) documents the abolishment of three divisions.
(5) Chapter 8 (Office of Administration), Section 4 (Office of Information and Management Services)documents: (1) the abolishment of the Publishing and Visual Communications Branch that was previously located within the Management Services Division, and the establishment in its place of the Publishing and Visual Communications Division, and (2) abolishment of all branches.
Rodney E. Slater
Federal Highway Administrator