U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
|FHWA Delegations and Organization Manual|
||Office of Primary Interest
| M 1100.1A, Chg. 14
||May 13, 1998
- PURPOSE. To issue revised pages to the FHWA Delegations and Organization Manual.
- EXPLANATION OF CHANGES. The delegation changes listed below:
- Implement recommendations made in the FHWA Organization Structure Evaluation
Task Force Report - Phase I, A Streamlined Field Organization, dated September
22, 1997, pertaining to the redelegation to the Division Administrators
and State Directors of most of the remaining approval authorities retained
in the regional offices. Except for Chapter 5, subparagraph 18a (Allocation
of Beautification Funds), the existing chain of delegation, i.e., from
the Administrator to the Regional Administrators to the DAs (Federal-aid)
and to the Associate Administrator for Motor Carriers to the Director
of Motor Carrier Field Operations to the Regional Directors to the State
Directors, is being maintained at this time pending the formal establishment
of resource centers. This change, as it pertains to the restructuring
delegations, is an interim issuance; the affected chapters will be reissued
in their entirety as part of the implementation/transition plan that results
from the efforts of the Phase II Task Force. Summaries of the changes
made in Part I (Delegations of Authority), Chapter 4 (Administrative),
Chapter 5 (Federal-aid),and Chapter 7 (Motor Carriers), that pertain to
the restructuring delegations are shown in the attached tables.
Other Manual changes are described below.
- Revises Chapter 4, paragraph 3, to remove the restriction on further
delegation of authority to approve advance sick leave or restore annual
leave. (Note: This is in addition to the redelegation to Division Administrators
and Motor Carrier State Directors recommended by the Task Force and described in the attached Tables.)
- Revises Chapter 4, paragraph 8, to require that suggestions with potential
applicability beyond the reviewer's organization be referred to the appropriate
organization level for further review. (Note: This is in addition to the
redelegation to Division Administrators and Motor Carrier State Directors
recommended by the Task Force and described in the attached Tables.)
- Revises Chapter 5, paragraph 41 (Emergency Relief Projects), to add
the phrase "including the provisions for redelegation."
- Deletes Chapter 5, paragraph 68 (Hawaii Interstate H-3 Construction
Approval), as its provisions are obsolete.
- Revises Chapter 5, paragraph 73, relative to the approval of participation
in costs incurred prior to authorization.
- Revises Chapter 7, paragraph 2, to include the authority to issue administrative
interpretations pertaining to certain former Interstate Commerce Commission
functions as well as other safety functions.
- Minor technical and grammatical revisions, such as previously approved
organization titles, and updated citations, are also included in this
change and are reflected by a change line in the Manual text, but are not listed here.
Kenneth R. Wykle
Federal Highway Administrator