This page provides links to tools sponsored by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) that promote livability in transportation planning. The links are intended to assist decision makers and stakeholders interested in integrating livability principles into their communities' transportation systems. Visit the U.S. DOT Livability Resources page for other livability-related material.
- FHWA Livable Communities Discussion Board - This is online public forum for users to participate in discussion threads and engage in questions and ideas on livability and livability-related topics.
- Location Affordability Portal - This tool helps individuals, real estate professionals, planners, policymakers, developers, and researchers understand transportation costs in the context of housing location.
- PlaceFit Community Characteristics Database - The PlaceFit Tool provides access to a variety of existing websites based on livability characteristics that may appeal to your lifestyle choices.
- Sustainable Highways Tool (INVEST) - INVEST is a practical, web-based, collection of best practices that allow states to integrate sustainability into their transportation projects. The use of the tool is voluntary and can be used by states or other project sponsors to measure the sustainability of their projects.
- Tools for Sustainable Communities - The Partnership for Sustainable Communities (PSC) has compiled the following list of tools to help communities assess, plan, and design sustainable communities. These tools cover a broad range of topics, including community design and planning, transportation and housing, and the environment. The list includes tools developed by the PSC partner agencies - the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - as well as other Federal agencies and nongovernmental organizations. New: 7/30/2014