This page provides links to webinars sponsored by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) that promote livability in transportation planning. The links are intended to assist decision makers and stakeholders interested in integrating livability principles into their communities' transportation systems. Visit the U.S. DOT Livability Resources page for other livability-related material.
- Livability in Transportation Guidebook training series - The Livability in Transportation Guidebook training videos highlighting key concepts and case studies from The Livability in Transportation Guidebook.
- Livability in Transportation Webinar Series - These FHWA hosted webinars highlight practices and techniques for promoting livability.
- Nonmotorized Transportation Pilot Program Webinar (transcript) - October 22, 2014. During the webinar, representatives from each of the four Nonmotorized Transportation Pilot Program pilot communities discussed the strategies they used to promote bicycle and pedestrian projects and the lessons learned. The Nonmotorized Transportation Pilot Program was established in SAFEATEA-LU Section 1807 and provided over $25 million each to four communities (Columbia, MO; Marin County, CA; Minneapolis Area, MN; Sheboygan County, WI) to demonstrate how infrastructure and programs can increase rates of walking and bicycling. New: 11/13/2014
- Livability and Level of Service (LOS): Making the Connection (transcript) - July 22, 2014 - This webinar discusses the origin, evolution, and application of LOS and the need for practitioners to choose LOS goals that consider all road users, supports livable communities, and help achieve Context Sensitive Solutions.
- Programs and Policies to Advance Livability (transcript) - April 17, 2014. This webinar helps transportation practitioners better understand the potential benefits and challenges of programmatic and policy approaches for fostering livable communities. Presenters will discuss the evolution of Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) livability policies and associated implementation and the development of livability policies and initiatives in Sandpoint, Idaho, a small town in transition.
- Effective Practices in Planning for Livable Communities at Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) - November 12, 2012. This FHWA and FTA webinar explored several innovative MPO programs that promote livability as a follow up to the 2010 FHWA/FTA Transportation Planning Capacity Building (TPCB) Program sponsored peer exchange held in Atlanta, GA.
- Advancing Livability with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) - August 9, 2012. This webinar helps planning and development practitioners to better understand the potential applications of geospatial technologies for advancing livability.
- Transportation and Health Webinar - October 23, 2012. This webinar highlights metropolitan planning organization initiatives related to transportation and health.