Delta Region Transportation Development Program
SAFETEA-LU Section(s): 1308
SEC. 1308. DELTA REGION TRANSPORTATION DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM.
- In General- The Secretary shall carry out a program in the 8 States comprising the Delta Region (Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, and Tennessee) to--
- support and encourage multistate transportation planning and corridor development;
- provide for transportation project development;
- facilitate transportation decision making; and
- support transportation construction.
- Eligible Recipients- A State transportation department or metropolitan planning organization in a Delta Region State may receive and administer funds provided under the program.
- Eligible Activities- The Secretary shall make allocations under the program for multistate highway planning, development, and construction projects.
- Other Provisions Regarding Eligibility- All activities funded under this program shall be consistent with the continuing, cooperative, and comprehensive planning processes required by sections 134 and 135 of title 23, United States Code.
- Selection Criteria- The Secretary shall select projects to be carried out under the program based on--
- whether the project is located--
- in an area under the authority of the Delta Regional Authority; and
- on a Federal-aid highway;
- endorsement of the project by the State department of transportation; and
- evidence of the ability of the recipient of funds provided under the program to complete the project.
- Program Priorities- In administering the program, the Secretary shall--
- encourage State and local officials to work together to develop plans for multimodal and multijurisdictional transportation decision making; and
- give priority to projects that emphasize multimodal planning, including planning for operational improvements that--
- increase the mobility of people and goods;
- improve the safety of the transportation system with respect to catastrophic natural disasters or disasters caused by human activity; and
- contribute to the economic vitality of the area in which the project is being carried out.
- Federal Share- Amounts provided by the Delta Regional Authority to carry out a project under this subsection may be applied to the non-Federal share of the project required by section 120 of title 23, United States Code.
- IN GENERAL- There is authorized to be appropriated from the Highway Trust Fund (other than the Mass Transit Account) to carry out this section $10,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2006 through 2009.
- CONTRACT AUTHORITY- Funds made available to carry out this section shall be available for obligation in the same manner as if such funds were apportioned under chapter 1 of title 23, United States Code; except that such funds shall not be transferable and shall remain available until expended.