Literature Review of Organizational Structures and Finance of Multi-jurisdictional Initiatives and the Implications for Megaregion Transportation Planning in the U.S.
Florida Flow Chart Text Description
- Federal (FHWA/FTA)
- State (Florida DOT)
- MPOAC (Florida MPO Advisory Council). A statewide transportation planning council created by the Florida Legislature. It represents all MPOs. The Advisory Council augments the role of the individual MPOs in cooperative transportation planning.
- MPOs. Metropolitan Planning organizations engage in transportation planning for urban countries that fall under the MPO designated area.
- Regional MPO Alliances (CFMPOA, CCC, etc.). Formed to coordinate regional transportation issues in Florida where many MPOs exist in large metropolitan regions.
- Metropolitan Counties/Areas. Transportation Planning for these urban areas is coordinated under the supervision of the MPO. Local authorities and stakeholders articulate project needs to the responsible MPO.
- (From Florida DOT) Rural Counties/Areas. State law requires that County Board of Commissioners set transportation policy in counties not located in an MPO. Their needs and concerns are feed into the state-wide transportation plan.
Return to report.