Transportation Planning Process Resource Guide
General Public Involvement / Public Participation
- FHWA Transportation Planning Capacity Building (TPCB) website, Public Involvement Section: This site links to a variety of technical papers, reports, and other published materials. This portion of the site, a number of links are included to a wide range of PI resources and case studies.
Engaging the Private Sector in Freight Planning Provides strategies and techniques to help public practitioners establish and strengthen a relationship with the private sector. This includes the skills needed to describe the value that private sector freight stakeholders can add to the planning process; tools and resources for identifying freight stakeholders; and development of an action plan for engaging freight stakeholders in their agencies' planning processes. Successful approaches employed at State DOTs and MPOs are also discussed. See also Transportation Planning for the Private Sector. Length: 1-day Workshop or 2 hour Webinar. Level: Intermediate. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Public Involvement in Transportation Decisionmaking (NHI/NTI 142036) Provides an in-depth review of the various components of public involvement in transportation decision-making, as well as specific skills, techniques and approaches for enhancing public interaction. Length: 3 days. Level: Basic. For more information, go to www.nhi.fhwa.dot.gov or www.ntionline.com.
- Public Involvement Refresher Public involvement is a fundamental component of the overall transportation development process. This webinar covers principles and examples of public involvement activities in key phases of the process, focusing on the planning and NEPA phases. Length: 2-4 hour Webinar. Level: Basic. For more information, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Public Involvement Technical Assistance FHWA Resource Center and Headquarters specialists provide technical assistance on public involvement and public participation, including requirements relating to public participation plans and interested parties. Length: Depends on customer needs. For more information, contact email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Transportation Planning for the Private Sector This presentation (and associated fact sheets) was developed for use by state DOTs and MPOs to provide a broad overview of the transportation planning process to private sector freight stakeholders. The goal of this effort is to foster awareness and encourage collaboration on freight issues and projects. Length: Up to 2 hours. Level: Basic For more information, contact email@example.com.
- TRB Committee on Public Involvement in Transportation, white paper describes the state of the practice of public involvement, benefits, noteworthy practices and challenges.
- TR News' "Going Public: Involving Communities in Transportation Decisions," May-June 2002, #220 - This issue covers public involvement in transportation.