Transportation Planning Process Resource Guide
Notable Practices / Case Studies / Research
- FHWA and FTA Transportation Planning Excellence Awards for Public Involvement, Education, and Outreach
- FHWA Case Studies, Innovative practices that State Departments of Transportation, Metropolitan Planning Organizations, and public transportation providers to promote effective public participation in transportation decision-making.
- Hear Every Voice: A Guide to Public Involvement at Mn/DOT, June 1999, Minnesota (Mn)DOT developed document to provide statewide guidance for Mn/DOT planners and project managers on designing and implementing public involvement programs to achieve Mn/DOT's strategic vision.
- "Oh, Do You Know Where This Road Will Go?", Mississippi DOT: Outreach tool for kids which explains the environmental process for highway planning and design.
- FTA Research-Public Participation Pilot Program, applied research projects that will develop innovative approaches to improving public participation in the planning of public transportation.
- TRB Research Underway--National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) will develop a synthesis to document the experiences of state and local transportation agencies' cost-effective strategies and implementation techniques to involve the public in the development of transportation plans and projects.
- FHWA Environmental Review Toolkit provides Planning and Environment Linkages. You can look for "public involvement" categories in the best practices submissions.