Chattanooga-Hamilton County-North Georgia (CHCNGA) Transportation Planning Organization Travel Model Peer Review Report
5.0 Questions for Peer Review Panelists
Prior to the peer review event, CHCNGA-TPO staff prepared a list of questions to guide the discussion during the peer review. These questions are summarized below, and discussed in detail in subsequent sections of this report.
5.1 Data Collection
Questions regarding data collection were:
- How best to improve non-motorized data collection to support travel modeling?
- Which data source and methodology would be best for estimating and forecasting employment?
- Which methodology would be best for to expanding the on-board survey results to facilitate route level analysis and forecasting?
5.2 Updating Highway Component of the TDM
Questions regarding updating the highway component of the travel model were:
- Should the re-validation of the highway component wait until the transit and non-motorized components are in place?
- Should the model be able to forecast toll trips?
- Should the model consider gas prices in mode choice?
- If transitioning to an activity-based model, should land use and travel model development tasks be performed simultaneously or sequentially?
5.3Adding Transit / Non-motorized Forecasting to the TDM
Questions regarding adding transit / non-motorized forecasting to the travel demand model were:
- Should assessments of the reasonableness of transit forecasting be by route, stop, and time of day?
- How should the reasonableness of non-motorized forecasting be assessed?
How can the model best be used to analyze Transportation Demand Management or complete streets concepts?
5.4 Land Use Model
Questions regarding a land use model were:
- How can decisions of stakeholders that influence development be modeled without relying on a land use simulation model?
- How are land use models calibrated and validated?
- What are the barriers to developing a land use simulation model?
- How can the real world impact and corresponding land use changes for a scenario be evaluated?
- How can the land use model be optimized to reduce run time while maintaining model quality?
5.5 Integration of LUM and TDM
Questions regarding the integration of a land use model and the travel demand model were:
- How can the separate models best be integrated when they are running on different software platforms?
- What accessibility measures should flow from the TDM to the LUM and how will they account for the various travel modes?
- What demographic measures should flow from the LUM to the TDM?
- How can the integration of the two models be validated / tested?