FHWA > Policy > Office of Highway Policy Information > HSS
The Process Now
Road inventory system used as a source for the submittal software. Traffic, pavement, inventory sections contribute to HPMS and loaded into the software. HPMS is kept in the software and updated each year.
Stand alone software Version 6.0
Uses Access as a background database
- Too many versions
- Complicated process of loading data
- Dependent on operating system
- Inconsistent reports
- Two Development fronts
- Unable to take full advantage of current technology. (Complex queries, GIS)
- Provide the HPMS software on a Web based application that interacts directly with the official HPMS database.
- Merge the "State" tool and the "HQ" Tool into one development
- Open access to data providers in the state DOTs and FHWA planners in the field
- Security - initially handled through UPACs. This will also provide history of modifications
- Performance - effect of increasing the number of users by a factor of 20+
- Current practices - Tools in the state were developed to interact with the "state" tool. We don't want to pull the rug out from under this effort.
- Transition - How do we make migrate from a tool that users are comfortable with.
- Training - Plan to train 52 states and FHWA Division offices
- Phase 1 - Provide UPACs accounts and move submittal site behind firewall
- Phase 2 - Provide access to the "HQ" tool to State DOT and FHWA Division HPMS coordinators
- Phase 3 - Develop and release "State" tool functionality in the "HQ" tool
- Phase 4 - Development of a GIS interface
- Level 1 - Read only for 1 state in review
- Level 2 - Read/write access for 1 state
- Level 3 - Read only for all states
- Level 4 - Read/write for all states
- Level 5 - Full Access
Phase 2 Demo
Release in about 2 weeks
Office of Highway Policy Information
Federal Highway Administration