U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
A Summary of Vehicle Detection and Surveillance Technologies use in Intelligent Transportation Systems
Chapter 6 - References
1. Apogee/Hagler Bailly, Intelligent Transportation Systems: Real World Benefits, FHWA-JPO-98-018, January 1998.
2. ASTM E1318-02, Standard Specification for Highway Weigh-in-Motion (WIM) with User Requirements and Test Method, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, vol. 04.03, West Conshohocken, PA, 2005.
3. Caldera, R., Long-Term Stable Quartz WIM Sensors, Proceedings - National Traffic Data Acquisition Conference, Vol. II, NM-NATDAC'96, Albuquerque, NM, May 5-6, 1996, NM State Highway and Transportation Dept., Santa Fe, NM.
4. Castle Rock Consultants, Automated Traffic/Truck Weight Monitoring Equipment (Weigh-in-Motion), FHWA-DP-88-76-006, May 1988.
5. Chang, E. C-P and H. Kunhuang , "Incident Detection Using Advanced Technologies," Paper 930943, 72nd Annual Meeting, Transportation Research Board, Washington , D.C. , 1993.
6. Davis , S.C. and Diegel, S.W., Transportation Energy Data Book: Edition 22-2002, Table 6.5, ORNL-6967, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge , TN , Sept. 2002.
7. Fowler, D. W., Selection of Bonding Materials for Piezoelectric Sensors, Proceedings - National Traffic Data Acquisition Conference, Vol. II, NM-NATDAC'96, Albuquerque, NM, May 5-6, 1996, NM State Highway and Transportation Dept., Santa Fe, NM.
8. Gordon, R.L., R.A. Reiss, H. Haenel, E.R. Case, R.L. French, A. Mohaddes, and R. Wolcott, Traffic Control Systems Handbook, FHWA-SA-95-032, Federal Highway Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, D.C., Feb. 1996.
9. Halvorsen, Don , Finger on the Pulse - Piezos on the Rise, Traffic Technology International, June/July, 1999.
10. Hockaday, S., Evaluation of Image Processing Technology for Applications in Highway Operations Final Report, TR 91-2, Transportation Res. Group, California Polytechnical State University, San Luis Obispo, California, Jun. 29, 1991.
11. JAMAR Technologies, Inc., Catalog Number 7, Horsham , PA.
12. Kanhere, N.K. , S.T. Birchfield, and W.A. Sarasua , "Vehicle Segmentation and Tracking in the Presence of Occlusions," 85th Annual TRB Meeting, Washington , DC , 2006.
13. Kistler Instrumente AG, Weigh In Motion: The First System for Monitoring at Any Speed, Winterthur , Switzerland , October 1997.
14. Klein L. A. and M.R. Kelley , Detection Technology for IVHS, Vol. I: Final Report, FHWA-RD-95-100, Federal Highway Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington , D.C. , Dec. 1996.
15. Klein , L. A. , Millimeter-Wave and Infrared Multisensor Design and Signal Processing, Artech House, Norwood , MA , 1997.
16. Klein , L. A. , Final Report: Mobile Surveillance and Wireless Communication Systems Field Operational Test - Vol. 1: Executive Summary, California PATH Res. Rpt. UCB-ITS-PRR-99-6, University of California , Berkeley , Richmond , CA , Mar. 1999.
17. Klein , L. A. , Final Report: Mobile Surveillance and Wireless Communication Systems Field Operational Test - Vol. 2: FOT Objectives, Organization, System Design, Results, Conclusions, and Recommendations, California PATH Res. Rpt. UCB-ITS-PRR-99-7, University of California , Berkeley , Richmond , CA , Mar. 1999.
18. Klein , L. A. , Data Requirements and Sensor Technologies for ITS, Norwood , MA , Artech House, 2001.
19. Klein , L.A. , D. Gibson , and M.K. Mills , Traffic Detector Handbook: Third Edition, FHWA-HRT-06-108 (Vol. I) and FHWA-HRT-06-139 (Vol. II), Federal Highway Administration, US Department of Transportation, Washington, DC, Oct. 2006. Also available at: http://www.tfhrc.gov/its/pubs/06108/ and http://www.tfhrc.gov/its/pubs/06139/
20. Klein , L.A. , "Machine Vision Sensors for Expressway Management: Strengths and Weaknesses Revealed," Proceedings 1st International Symposium on Freeway and Tollway Operations, Athens , Greece , June 2006.
21. Kranig J., E. Minge, and C. Jones, Field Test of Monitoring of Urban Vehicle Operations Using Non-Intrusive Technologies, FHWA-PL-97-018, Federal Highway Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, D.C., May 1997.
22. Kumagai, Y., T. Yamamoto , M. Deguchi , and S. Yamaoka , Ultrasonic Detector and New Type Sensors for Urban Traffic Control Systems, Sumitomo Electric Industries, 1992.
23. Lenz, J.E., FAA Demonstration of Alternate Technologies to Prevent Runway Incursions, Final Rpt. Vol. 1, Honeywell Inc., Systems and Research Center, Minneapolis, MN, Apr. 1993.
24. McCall, William and Walt Vodrazka, States' Successful Practices Weigh-In-Motion Handbook, Center for Transportation Research and Education, Iowa State University, Ames, IO, Dec. 1997. http://www.ctre.iastate.edu/research/wim_pdf/index.htm
25. MacCarley , C.A. , S. Hockaday, D. Need, S. Taff, "Evaluation of Video Image Processing Systems for Traffic Detection," Transportation Research Record No. 1360, National Research Council, Washington D.C. , 1992.
26. Michalopoulos, P.G. , R.D. Jacobson , C.A. Anderson , and J.C. Barbaresso , "Integration of Machine Vision and Adaptive Control in the Fast-Trac IVHS Program," 72nd Annual Meeting, Transportation Research Board, Washington , D.C. , Jan. 1993.
27. Middleton , D. and R. Parker, Vehicle Detector Evaluation, FHWA/TX-03/2119-1,Texas Transportation Institute, College Station , TX , 2002.
28. Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT), NIT Phase II: Evaluation of Non-Intrusive Technologies for Traffic Detection, Final Report SRF 3683, St. Paul, MN, Sept. 2002.
29. Nestor Corp. Data Sheets, Providence , R.I. , 1999.
30. Proper, Allen T. and Cheslow, Melvyn D., ITS Benefits: Continuing Successes and Operational Test Results, FHWA-JPO-98-002, October 1997.
31. Rhodes, A., D.M. Bullock, J. Sturdevant, Z. Clark, and D.G. Candey, Jr., "Evaluation of Stop Bar Video Detection Accuracy at Signalized Intersections," 84th Annual Meeting, Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C., 2005.
32. Roadtrax, Roadtrax BL and BLC Piezoelectric Sensor Catalog Sheets, Amp Inc., Valley Forge, PA, March 1995 and April 1996. Catalogs also available from Measurement Specialties, Norristown , PA , 1998.
33. Sampey, H.R., Vehicle Magnetic Imaging, Nu-Metrics, Vanderbilt , PA , May 1994.
34. News, Oct. 6, 1999 , p.4.
35. Wentworth, J., C. Dougan, D. Green, W. Kaufman, E. Kent, T. O'Keefe, and H. Wang, International Scanning Report on Advanced Transportation Technology, Federal Highway Administration, FHWA-PL-95-027, Washington, D.C., Dec. 1994.