Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Contact: Kelly Hanahan
Tel: (202) 366-0660
FHWA Administrator Mendez Reviews Progress on I-10 Project
Interchange Investment Supports President's Plan to Create an America "Built to Last"
NEW ORLEANS - Federal Highway Administrator Victor Mendez today reviewed construction on the I-10 and Causeway Boulevard Interchange project in Metairie that will reduce congestion on the most heavily traveled roadway in Louisiana.
"President Obama called on us to rebuild America by putting people to work rebuilding America's roads and bridges," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "The budget proposal released earlier this week will allow us to invest in projects like the I-10 and Causeway Boulevard Interchange that will strengthen our infrastructure while creating jobs today."
Administrator Mendez's visit follows the President's budget release on Monday, which includes $305 billion to rebuild America's roads and bridges, a 34 percent increase over the previous authorization.
"Investment in infrastructure will lay a foundation for economic growth and competitiveness," Administrator Mendez said. "This project, like so many across the nation, will help area residents by creating jobs as well as relieving congestion and letting people spend more time doing things they enjoy."
The I-10 widening project will remove a bottleneck to alleviate severe congestion and improve access to New Orleans by reconstructing three interchanges and adding a through travel lane in each direction from the I-10 and I-610 in Orleans Parish to Causeway Boulevard in Jefferson Parish. With approximately 178,000 daily drivers using the interstate each day, it is the state's most heavily traveled roadway. Work is scheduled to be completed this summer.
The $89 million interchange project relies on $70 million in federal funding, including $52 million from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
# # #