Long-Term Pavement Performance Program Manual for Falling Weight Deflectometer Measurements
Chapter 14. Version History
14.1 VERSION 1.0
The initial version of this manual , the SHRP-LTPP Manual for FWD Testing and Operational Field Guidelines, was released January 1989 (SHRP reference "SHRP-LTPP-OG-002"). This guide included instructions for testing with edition 10 of the Dynatest FWD data collection software only. This guide included only three test plans: flexible, JCP, and CRCP sections, and it was applicable to only GPS testing.
14.2 SPS 3 AND SPS 4 SUPPLEMENT TO VERSION 1.0
The Pavement Maintenance Effectiveness Program of SHRP published modifications to version 1.0 of the FWD guide for testing at SPS 3 and SPS 4 test sections. The following modifications were published in SHRP report SHRP-H-358 dated November 1993 (pages 134–137); however, the modifications were in effect before that date:
- SPS 3 sections, testing interval set to 30 m (100 ft) instead of 8 m (25 ft).
- For SPS 3 sections, only three drops at each drop height are to be recorded, instead of four.
- For SPS 4 sections, testing is to be performed at every third panel.
- For SPS 4 sections, all testing is to be performed in the OWP. This includes JA, JL, and MP testing. (For MP testing on SPS 4 sections, lane specification ’J6’ is now used; however, this was not specified in the supplement.)
- For SPS 4 sections, only three drops at each drop height are to be recorded for loss of support testing instead of four.
14.3 VERSION 2.0
Major update released May 7, 1993.
- Appendix B includes specific test plans for all SPS experiments.
- Relative calibration procedure updated.
- Reference calibration procedure added in appendix A.
14.4 VERSION 3.0
Major update released January 21, 2000.
- Updated for use with edition 25 of the Dynatest FWD data collection software.
- Deflection sensor spacing updated for nine active sensors.
- Added verification procedure for FWD-mounted temperature sensors and Temperature Sensor Checks (TSCs) form.
- Removed relative calibration procedure from main body of document.
- Replaced reference calibration procedure with "SHRP/LTPP FWD Calibration Protocol" (March 1994) in appendix F. (This protocol includes a relative calibration procedure.)
14.5 VERSION 3.1
Minor update released October 31, 2000.
- Fixed some figures, typos, and formatting.
- Updated to reflect further changes to the Dynatest edition 25 software.
14.6 VERSION 4.0
Major update released April 1, 2005. This is the first complete rewrite of the LTPP Manual for Falling Weight Deflectometer Measurements since version 1.0.
- Removed FWD data collection software-specific information. (This information was placed in the LTPP FWD Data Collection Software Manual.)
- Integrated test plans in appendices A and B into main body of document to reduce redundancy (sections 5.1 and 5.2).
- Removed appendix C because Seasonal Monitoring Program (SMP) testing was no longer being performed.
- Removed appendix D because P59 (subsurface testing) was no longer being performed.
- Removed appendix E because it was a copy of LTPP Directive GO-21 that may be superseded in the future.
- Removed appendix F because it was a copy of a separate document ("SHRP-LTPP FWD Calibration Protocol") that may be updated.
- Removed appendices G and H because they were specific to the FWD data collection software.
- Integrated LTPP Directive FWD-24, "Modifications to LTPP FWD Geophone Holders," in body of document (section 4.1.1).
- Integrated LTPP Directive FWD-27, "Thermal Gradient Temperature Measurements During Deflection Testing," in body of document (section 6.1).
- Integrated LTPP Directive FWD-28, "Storage of LTPP FWD Raw (Peak and Time History) Data," in body of document (section 12.2).
- Required all testing to be performed with drop load within 10 percent of target value (section 4.2).
- Required monthly verification of hand-held temperature instruments as well as FWDmounted temperature instruments (section 8.4).
- Added forms F05, F06, F07, F08, F09, and F10. (Forms F08 and F09 replace the TSC form.)
- Modified drop sequence for SPS 3 and SPS 4 sections to match standard LTPP drop sequence.
- Added "Unit Conversions for common FWD-Related Measurements" (appendix B).
14.7 VERSION 4.1
Minor update released July 1, 2006.
- Clarified relative calibration interval in section 8.2 to indicate that the relative calibration is not required during extended periods when the FWD is not in service.
- Made various minor formatting changes required for official publication by FHWA.
- Added reference to LTPP FWD Maintenance Manual, FHWA-LTPP-05-153, in section 10.
Previous | Contents | Next