Safety Effects of Differential Speed Limits
PDF files can be viewed with the Acrobat® Reader®
- Freedman, M. and Williams, A.F."Speeds Associated with 55 mph and 65 mph Speed Limits in Northeastern States, " ITE Journal, pp. 17-21, Vol. 2, No. 2, 1992, Institute ofTransportation Engineers, Washington, DC.
- Harkey, David L. and Ruben Mera:Safety Impacts of Different Speed Limits on Cars and Trucks,US Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, Publication No. FHWA-RD-93-161, Washington, DC, May 1994.
- Garber, N.J. and Gadiraju R.Impact of Differential Speed Limits on Highway Speeds and Accidents,AAA Foundation for Traffic Studies, Washington, D.C. February 1991.
- Council, F. M., Duncan, C.S., and Khattack, A. J."Applying the Ordered Probit Model to Injury Severity in Truck-Passenger Car Rear-End Collisions,"Transportation Research Record 1635,Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, Washington, DC., 1998.
- Garber N.J. and Gadiraju, R.Effect of Truck Strategies on Traffic Flow and Safety on Multilane Highways,AAA foundation for Traffic Safety, July 1989.
- Garber N.J. and Gadiraju R.Impact of Differential Speed Limits on Highway Speeds and Accidents,Dept. of Civil Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, 1991, pp.13.
- Garber N.J., and Gadiraju, R..Speed Variance and its Influence on Accidents,AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, July 1988.
- J.W. Hall and L. V. Dickinson,J.W. Hall and L. V. Dickinson, An Operational Evaluation of Truck Speeds on Interstate Highways,Department of Civil Engineering, University of Maryland, February 1974.
- Evaluation of the Impacts of Reducing Truck Speeds on Interstate Highways in Idaho, -Phase III, Final Report, December,2000,National Institute for Advanced Transportation Technology, University of Idaho.
- Hauer, E.Observational Before-After Studies in Road Safety, estimating the effect of highway and traffic engineering measures on road safety.Department of Civil engineering, University of Toronto, 1997. Chapters 11 and 12, especially pp. 175-176.
- Persaud, B., Hauer E., Retting, R., Vallurupalli, R. and Muxsi, K."Crash Reductions Related to Traffic Signal Removal in Philadelphia,"Accident Analysis and Prevention,Vol. 29, No.6,pp. 803-810, 1997.
- Hauer, E., Ng, J.C.N. and Lovel, J."Estimation of Safety at Signalized Intersections, "Transportation Research Record 1185.Transportation Research Board, National Research Council," Washington, DC, pp. 48-61, 1988.
- E. Hauer and B. N. Persaud,(1988)"How to Estimate the Safety of Rail-Highway Grade Crossings and the Safety Effects of Warning Devices,"Transportation Research Record1114. pp. 131-140.
- Persaud, B.N., Retting, R.A., Gardner, P.E., Lord, D.Crash Reduction Following Installation of Roundabouts in the United States, Insurance Institute For Highway Safety,Ryerson Polytech University Toronto, Ontario, March 2000.
- Persaud, B.N,"Estimating Accident Potential of Ontario Road Sections,"Transportation Research Record 1327,pp. 47-53, TRB, National Research Council, Washington, D.C.
- Bonneson, J.A. and McCoy, P.T."Estimation of Safety at Two-way Stop-controlled Intersections on Rural Highways"Transportation Research Record 1401, pp. 83-89, TRB, National Research Council, Washington, D.C.
- Persaud, B.N. and Lord, D."Accident Prediction Models with and without trend: Application of the Generalized Estimating Equations (GEE) Procedure"Presented at the79th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board,TRB, Washington D.C., 2000.
- Brownlee, K.A.Statistical Theory and Methodology in Science and Engineering,John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1960.
- SPSS.Post-Hoc Test introductions by SPSS; Appendix 10: Post Hoc Tests.Viewed at www.spss.com/tech/stat/algorithms/11.0/app10_post_hoc_tests.pdf on April 16, 2002.
- Sahai, H. and Ageel, M.I.The Analysis of Variance, Fixed, Random and Mixed Models,Birkhauser, 2000.
- Garber, N.J. and Hoel, L.A.,Traffic and Highway Engineering,PWS Publishing, 1996.
- Brown, H.C. and Tarko, A.P."The Effects of Access Control on Safety on Urban Arterial Streets."Presented at the78th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board,TRB, Washington D.C, 1999.
- Mountain, L., Fawaz, B., and Jarrett, D."Accident Prediction Models for Roads with Minor Junctions"Accident Analysis & Prevention,Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 695-707, "1996.
- Hauer, E."Empirical Bayes Approach to the Estimation of ‘Unsafety’: the Multivariate Regression Method,"Accident Analysis & Prevention,Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 457-477, 1992.
- Lord, D.Personal Communication,2002. (Communication included oral conversation, emails, and explanations of Mr. Lord's dissertation.)
- McShane, W.R. and Roess, R.P.Traffic Engineering,Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1990.
- Council, F.Personal communication,November 2003.
- Gates, T.Personal communication,June 2001.
Previous | Table of Contents