Surrogate Safety Assessment Model and Validation: Final Report
PDF files can be viewed with the Acrobat® Reader®
- NHTSA, Motor Vehicle Traffic Crashes as a Leading Cause of Death in the U.S., 2002—A Demographic Perspective. DOT HS 809 843. National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), 2005.
- Evans, L., Traffic Safety and the Driver. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold. p. 92–93, 1991.
- NHTSA, Traffic Safety Facts 2005. DOT HS 810 631. National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), 2006.
- Vogt, A., Crash Models for Rural Intersections: Four-Lane by Two-Lane Stop Controlled and Two-Lane by Tow-Lane Signalized. Report No. FHWA-RD-99-128. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA): Washington, D.C., 182 pp., 1999.
- Hauer, E. and Persaud, B., A Common Bias in Before-and-After Accident Comparisons and Its Elimination. Transportation Research Record 905, pp. 164–174, 1983.
- Gettman, D. and Head, L., Surrogate Measures of Safety from Traffic Simulation Models. Report No. FHWA-RD-03-050. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA): Washington, D.C., 2003.
- Amundsen, F. and Hyden, C. Proceedings of first workshop on traffic conflicts. 1977. Oslo: Institute of Transport Economics,
- Parker, M.R. and Zegeer, C.V., Traffic Conflict Techniques for Safety and Operations--Observers Manual. Report No. FHWA-IP-88-027. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA): Washington D.C., 40 pp., 1989.
- erkins, S.R., GMR Traffic Conflicts Technique—Procedures Manual. General Motors Research Laboratories: Warren, Michigan, 1969.
- Sayed, T., Brown, G., and Navis, F., Simulation of Traffic Conflicts at Unsignalized Intersections with TSC-Sim. Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 593–607, 1994.
- Hayward, J.C., Near-Miss Determination Through Use of a Scale of Danger. Report No. HRR 384. Highway Research Board, pp. 24–35, 1972.
- Hyden, C., The development of a method for traffic safety evaluation: The Swedish Conflicts Technique. Department of Traffic Planning and Engineering, Lund University: Sweden, 1987.
- Hardwood, D.W. and Council, F.M., Prediction of the Expected Safety Performance of Rural Two-Lane Highways. Report No. FHWA-RD-99-207. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA): Washington, D.C., 2000.
- Bared, J.G. and Kaiser, E.I. Advantages of Offset T-Intersections with Guidelines. in Road Safety on Three Continents. 2001. Moscow, Russia: Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute,
- Wolshon, B., Chapter 1, in Toolbox on Intersection Safety and Design. Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE): Washington, D.C., 2004.
- Robinson, B.W., Rodegerdts, L., and Scarborough, W., Roundabouts: An Informational Guide. Report No. FHWA-RD-00-067. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA): Washington, D.C., 2000.
- Highway Capacity Manual 2000. Washington, D.C.: Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, 2000.
- Engelbrecht, R. and Barnes, K. Advanced Traffic Signal Control for Diamond Interchanges. in Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board. 2003. Washington, D.C.,
- Martin, D., Single Point Urban Interchanges. URL: http://www.donovanmartin.com/roads/spui.html, accessed 2007.
- Bared, J., Powell, A., Kaisar, E., and Jagannathan, R., Crash Comparison of Single Point and Tight Diamond Interchanges. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 131, Issue 5, pp. 379-381, May 2005.
- Vogt, A. and Bared, J.G., Crash Models for Two-Lane Rural Roads: Segments and Intersections. Report No. FHWA-RD-98-133. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA): Washington, D.C., 1998.
- Jacquemart, G., Modern Roundabout Practice in the United States. NCHRP Synthesis of Highway Practice No. 264. Transportation Research Board: Washinton, D.C., 1998.
- Hummer, J.E., Chapter 14: Intersection and Interchange Design, in Handbook of Transportation Engineer. p. pp. 14.1–14.27, 2004.
- Hauer, E., Observational Before-After Studies in Road Safety. Pergamon Press, 1997.
- Sayed, T. and Rodriguez, F., Accident Prediction Models for Urban Unsignalized Intersections in British Columbia. Transportation Research Record 1665, pp. 93–99, 1999.
- Miaou, S.P., Measuring the Goodness-of-Fit of Accident Prediction Models. Report No. FHWA-RD-96-040. Federal Highway Adminstration (FHWA): McLean, VA, 1996.
- Hauer, E., Bias-by-Selection. Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 12, pp. 113–117, 1980.
- DeLeur, P. and Sayed, T., Using claims prediction model for road safety evaluation. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 28, Issue 5, pp. 804–812, 2001.
- VISSIM 4.10 User Manual. Karlsruhe, Germany: PTV Planung Transport Verker AG, 2005.
- Bauer, K.M. and Harwood, D.W., Statistical Models of At-Grade Intersection Accidents—Addendum. Federal Highway Adminstration: McLean, VA, pp. 46–47, 1998.
- Zegeer, C.V. and Deen, R.C., Traffic conflict as a diagnostic tool in highway safety. Transportation Research Record 667, pp. 48–55, 1978.
- McDowell, M.R.C., Wennell, J., Storr, P.A., and Darzentas, J., Gap acceptance and traffic conflict simulation as a measure of risk. Special Report 776. Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL), pp. 1–27, 1983.
- Special Service Vehicles. Michigan State Police, https://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/VehicleEvaluation2007_MSP-SpecialDesigned_182664_7.pdf, accessed 2007.
Previous | Table of Contents