Alternative Uses of Highway Right-of-Way
Appendix D. Questionnaire to FHWA Division Offices
TO THE ATTENTION OF: Division Office Realty and Utility Staff
The purpose of this message is to have the Realty staff participate in the survey below:
The Office of Real Estate Services, as part of a STEP 2009 Research project is collecting information on renewable Energy Technologies and the Use of Alternative Fuel Facilities within the highway Right-of-Way. Hopefully this information will help us identify where there may be opportunities or barriers for accommodating renewable energy technologies and alternative fuel facilities in the right-of-way. You may discuss the questions with the State DOT or other interested parties, but do not send the survey to the State and ask them to complete the survey.
- Do the partners that you work with in the delivery of the program such as States DOTs, Indian Tribes and Federal agencies allow for the use of highway rights-of-way to accommodate public utility facilities as noted in the "Guidance on Utilization of Highway Right-of-Way" available at www.fhwa.dot.gov/real_estate/right-of-way/policy_and_guidance/guidutil_a.cfm?
- Do they characterize renewable energy facilities as utilities (i.e., in regards to the accommodation of utility facilities in the ROW)?
- Are there any laws or other requirements that either allow or prohibit the generation of renewable energy within the highway ROW? If so, please cite the law(s).
- Can excess ROW or potential excess ROW be used for renewable energy facilities?
- Are they considering or carrying out research, development, or construction of renewable energy or alternative fuel facilities in the right-of-way, such as: wind, solar, bioenergy, electric charging stations, etc? If so, please describe.
(Please provide an agency or contact name, and telephone number we can use for follow-up.):
Please return the completed form to Bruce H. Bradley @ firstname.lastname@example.org or contact him directly at (202)493-0564 if you have any additional questions or need additional information.