Visualization for Right-of-Way Acquisition
Appendix B. Phone Discussion Guide
- Please tell us your title and describe your main project responsibilities.
- In what capacities have you used visualization tools and techniques other than for ROW acquisition?
- Who are the primary users and audiences?
- How did you first learn/think about using visualization for ROW acquisition? How were you introduced to the concept?
- Did you do/review any research on other agencies' use of visualization for ROW acquisition?
- Can you describe some specific situations/circumstances that called for using visualization for ROW acquisition purposes? What ROW acquisition need does/can visualization fill?
- Before you used visualization for ROW acquisition, how did you carry out the uses or communicate the relevant information/concepts to stakeholders? What, if anything, did visualization replace?
- Do you develop the visualizations in-house or do you hire consultants? If consultants, who?
- Can you estimate the development costs for a typical visualization application for ROW acquisition purposes?
- When you consider the costs of visualization for ROW acquisition, do you view it as a cost associated primarily with the ROW process, or have you analyzed how the cost is spread over the entire project development spectrum?
- What was the cost of developing/purchasing the visualization application relative to the total project development cost, or overall project delivery costs?
- E.g., can you comment on the cost of developing a visualization tool compared to the potential increase in project costs due to construction delays?
- Do you include staff training or maintenance costs in your calculation of the total cost of developing/purchasing the visualization application?
- What lessons learned/best practices can you share about pricing/costing/investing in visualization applications/tools/services based on your experience?
- Have you evaluated the benefits (actual cost-benefits or other) of using visualization?
- Have you compared and contrasted different visualization methods/techniques for relative effectiveness? How have you done so?
- As a user, what have been the challenges of using visualization for ROW acquisition?
- If you could do it all over again, would you have invested in the same tools for the same purposes? If no, what would you change?
- Have you received feedback from stakeholders about the relative benefits/advantages or disadvantages of using visualization for ROW acquisition?
- How did you collect their feedback? What did they say?
- Do you have any ideas regarding what makes ROW acquisition so different such that visualization uses have not seeped over into the field yet as much as in other areas?
- Do you believe there is value in posting visualizations to social networking websites?
- What advice would you give to other states that are thinking of undertaking a similar project?