Skip to content U.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Highway AdministrationU.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Highway Administration

Office of Planning, Environment, & Realty (HEP)
PlanningEnvironmentReal Estate

HEP Events Guidance Publications Awards Contacts

Presentations of Uniform Act Final Rule Implementation

Let's See How It Works

Please refer to examples entitled:

Residential Self Move



SUBPART D § 24.301(b) and (c)

Residential Self Move Examples

Example One: Robert and Sally Link will be moving soon due the acquisition of their home in a federally-assisted highway project. The DOT has obtained two estimates of the move and presented those to the Links. The low estimate is $8,500 and the high estimate is $9,000. The Links have indicated that they would be agreeable to accepting the low bid and performing the move themselves. Can the DOT pay a lump-sum amount for a self-move to a residential displacee?

The DOT may not make such a payment unless supported by adequate proof of expenditures for the work necessary. In other words, the self-move for residential occupants is dissimilar to that permitted for businesses.

Example Two: A dwelling is acquired that has an above ground swimming pool which is personal property. The occupant could elect:

  1. A fixed payment from the moving cost schedule for the residence, plus an actual cost move for the pool; or

  2. An actual cost move for all of the personal property.

Updated: 9/5/2014
HEP Home Planning Environment Real Estate
Federal Highway Administration | 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE | Washington, DC 20590 | 202-366-4000