FHWA Resource Center
SAFETY & DESIGN TEAM
Safety and ITS
Safety and Design Technical Services Team
Caption: Photo showing a lighted sign informing drivers of the distance to the end of a work zone.
PRODUCTS & SERVICES
The Resource Center Safety and Design Technical Service Team (TST) can assist State or local highway agencies in the emphasis area of Improving Highway Safety and ITS in the following areas:
• Bring stakeholders together from traditional highway safety and ITS backgrounds to collaborate on improving highway safety.
• Review traditional highway safety and ITS Strategic Plans.
• Identify and discuss ITS highway safety applications and their benefits as illustrated through deployments across the country.
• Assess highway crash data and correlate with ITS safety strategies.
• Assist in developing the safety component of an ITS Strategic Plan.
Caption: Photo of highway on-ramp.
Transportation professionals seeking training or assistance with Safety & ITS issues may contact the Resource Center Safety & Design TST.
Workshops, Seminars and Courses
Improving Highway Safety with ITS (NHI 137044)
This two-day course will increase awareness of the potential to gain highway safety improvements through the deployment of Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) technologies at the highway system, mainstream (highway improvement project) and stand-alone, project levels.
The purpose of this course is to foster collaboration between personnel with ITS and Safety responsibilities, while providing participants with the basic tools and resources needed for effective consideration of, and decisions for, improved highway safety with ITS.
Who should attend?
This course is designed to assist professionals in both the highway safety community and the ITS community. Participants should include planners, operators, designers, and/or maintenance personnel. These may be for example, the employees of, or contractors for, state Departments of Transportation, Metropolitan Planning Organizations, and/or city and county agencies.
For more information contact:
Olympia Fields, IL
Traffic/Highway Safety Engineer
Traffic/Highway Safety Specialist
SAFETY AND DESIGN TECHNICAL SERVICES TEAM