FHWA Resource Center
TRB Subcommittee AFF10(1), Traffic Structures
23 January 2007
1:30 – 3:15, McKinley Room, Marriott
1. Scope Review
The subcommittee scope was reviewed and edited. The chair emphasized the need to work closely with T-12, the AASHTO technical committee on traffic structures.
2. Member / Friend list overview
As a subcommittee, membership is less formal than that of a TRB full committee. Therefore, a combined member / friend list will be maintained. If the subcommittee becomes a full committee, an official list of members will be compiled from the active participants.
3. Research / Technology Updates
The following projects were presented and discussed
• Field and lab work for Iowa high mast pole lighting towers – Rob Connor, Purdue
• Signal pole and high mast pole pooled fund fatigue study – Karl Frank, University of Texas
• Sign vibration study – Karl Frank, University of Texas
• NCHRP Research Project 10-70 update – Sougata Roy, Lehigh
4. Research needs
Time was not available to discuss research needs. The chair will forward the list of T-12 research priorities to T-12 members with the meeting notes. The chair emphasized that a fare number of NCHRP projects in the traffic structures area have been funded in recent years.
5. Paper / conference session for 2008 Annual Meeting
This item was not discussed. Ideas will be considered by email.