United States Department of Transportation - Federal Highway Administration FHWA Home Feedback
   CALENDAR OF EVENTS divider TRAINING divider TECHNOLOGY DEPLOYMENT divider TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE
   Home   divider  end of menu

Photo:  Multiple bridges

Structures Home
space image
Structures Solutions/Best Practices
space image
Structures Training
space image
Structures Newsletters & Publications
space image
Structures Media Center
space image
Structures Calendar
space image
Structures Links
space image

POLICY
space image
 

FHWA Resource Center

STRUCTURES TEAM

MEETING MINUTES FROM FEBRUARY 6, 2006 SCEF MEETING HELD AT THE SHERATON NORFOLK WATERSIDE HOTEL; NORFOLK, VIRGINIA

ITEM 1 - INTRODUCTIONS OF SCEF MEMBERS
- Virginia DOT to host the 39th Annual Mid-Atlantic Quality Workshop at this
location tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday.

ITEM 2- APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM 8-31-05 MEETING - Vote to approve minutes from 8-31-05 meeting. Approved and seconded as noted with correction that reduced strength and ductility applies to punched-only holes, not to punched and reamed holes.

ITEM 3- UPDATE ON AISC COMPONENT CERTIFICATION PROGRAM BY L. TRIANDAFILOU
- Specifically set up for minor bridge components, and manufacturing certifications. There have been more than five years of effort put into this program to date. Latest update from AISC as follows: After a beta test by a bearing manufacturer in early 2005, there was a spring review of the draft program by AISC leadership. Concerns were expressed that the draft resembled a specification instead of being more like a customer-defined, process-based, quality management system, which is the direction AISC has taken with its approved Building Standard.

- In the fall of 2005, Bobbi Marstellar, AISC Vice President of Certification, led a review and development of a revised draft program. The revision shifts emphasis away from finding and correcting errors to establishing controls that prevent errors from occurring in the first place. By using an effective quality management system, a company will be positioned to exceed the current specifications. Officially endorsed by AISC in its Building Standard, it was noted that fewer specific details were incorporated into this program.

- A new draft of the Bridge Components Standard is in process. A new task group of ten members is scheduled to convene after the AISC Certification Committee meeting in mid-March 06. A new draft will be submitted to AISC leadership for approval and will require several months to complete. This program will require approval by the AISC Certification Committee. L. Triandafilou was asked to be on this committee.

- B. Via; VDOT Bearings and Diaphragms – Currently in limbo. Need to accelerate program. B. Horwhat; PA-DOT – No updates with current information; same as two years ago. The main focus was to identify other miscellaneous bridge members for this program. Vote to continue with this program approved but was noted by B. Via to have L. Triandafilou express concern with the AISC Certification Committee on the program status.

Follow-up Action: Based on comments received from Certification Committee members, the task group will convene to resolve all comments and develop a revised draft update of the Bridge Component Standard. Schedule is to have this revision to the AISC leadership in time for their summer meeting, and adoption tentative by the end of this year.

ITEM 4- STRUCTURAL COATINGS SUBCOMMITTEE UPDATE REPORT BY BRUCE NELSON, MARYLAND SHA

- There was no committee member present for a report. The group last met by teleconference call prior to the August 2005 meeting.
- A Basic Workshop- Calibration and Use of Coatings Inspection Instrumentation and Standards will be conducted by KTA- Tator, Inc.'s W. Corbett and E. Kline from 8:00- 12:00 on 2-7-06, preceding the Mid-Atlantic QA Workshop sessions.
- Anna Petroski of Atema, Inc. has offered to conduct a half-day seminar on the AISC Sophisticated Paint Endorsement, which would include reporting, management responsibility, inspection equipment, training, and calibration equipment. We will respond to her pending the outcome of the 2/7/06 training class.

Follow-up Item: The referenced training was conducted by Mr. Corbett and Mr. Doug Reardon, and was very well-received by over 25 attendees. They provided thorough background information on each inspection instrument. The hands-on demos were very effective in improving each person's knowledge of the tools. Based on this training, the group decided to postpone the training offered by Ms. Petroski.

ITEM 5- SUBCOMMITEE ON STANDARDIZATION OF DESIGN / FABRICATION OF OVERHEAD SIGN SUPPORTS- PA-DOT

- Group met for the 4th time in October 2005 (copy of minutes attached). It was noted that additional meetings would be scheduled to discuss details on high mast light poles and traffic signal poles.
- Review of the State DOT frequency of inspections, which average 5-10 years per pole.
- Failures are occurring on structures greater than 100' in length. Different standards exist for base plate thickness and anchor bolt size.
- Leveling nuts under the base plates with a double nut on the top are being utilized.
- B. Abernathy recommended against using 2-3/4" and 3" diameter bolts; only 1 supplier.
- Balloting of the written specification was conducted with YES responses from VA, DE, WV, and PA. MDSHA and DC DOT were not prepared to vote at this time. N. Patel will respond for MD and S. Okpala for DC within a week. Comments/ballots should be forwarded to Tom Macioce of PA-DOT.
- Issues are still at the forefront regarding these ancillary structures, as noted by VDOT with failed light poles at the recently completed Hampton Roads project, and by FHWA North Carolina Division office process review of sign structures.

Action Item: If not already done so, MDSHA and DCDOT are requested to submit their ballots for this item to Tom Macioce of PennDOT, by April 30th.

ITEM 6- REGIONAL WELDER CERTIFICATION PROGRAM BY B.ABERNATHY, MD SHA

- B. Abernathy to send out revised documents and balloting sheets for the FCAW programs to the State DOT representatives during the week of 2-13-06.
- Discussed the Mid-Atlantic States reciprocity for AWS welder qualifications by an approved AWS accredited test facility.
- There is a six (6) month frequency for welder's qualifications to provide welding in the process qualified. Any lapse in the welding process qualified, greater than 6 months, will require re-qualification.
- A database of welders qualified in the AWS program is on file at the AWS headquarters in Miami, Fl. and at the accredited testing facility.
- F. Adragna (NDTS) reviewed the AWS procedure for qualification of welders and the transfer of welder certifications from employer to employer.
- All balloting for the RWCP/ FCAW programs, are to be returned to B. Abernathy at MD-SHA within 1 month.

Action Item: If not already done so, revised documents and ballots are requested to be distributed to appropriate DOT personnel, for response to Bruce Abernathy of MDSHA, by April 30th.

ITEM 7- SUBCOMMITTEE ON EXPANSION JOINTS BY MARV BLIMLINE, MD-SHA

- B. Abernathy reported for Marv that information was forwarded to the subcommittee for review and comment.
- Standardization details to go along with the written specifications.
- Metric conversions are also in process.

Action Item: The subcommittee is requested to finalize details for ballot distribution prior to the next full SCEF meeting.

ITEM 8- BEARINGS SUBCOMMITTEE BY PA-DOT

- Last subcommittee meeting was held on November 15, 2005.
- No responses from balloting submitted incorporating AASHTO/ LRFD version.
- SCEF balloting completed today with WV, DE, and PA voting yes; VA votes yes pending LRFD implementation. No vote response from MD and DC (as per item 5 above, MD and DC attendees to today's meeting will obtain ballot responses within the week).
- R.J.Watson and D.S. Brown have questioned SCEF provision 106.6.1, reference to AASHTO LRFD, which requires epoxy bonding and welding stainless steel sheet to a steel backing plate. The manufacturers note this is an outdated provision, as the epoxy bonding is no longer required. We need to look into background of this provision, and make any necessary revisions.
The states noted that they specify AWS D1.6, TIG procedure for welding stainless steel?

Action Item: The subcommittee is requested to investigate this issue for resolution, and to make any necessary revisions to the SCEF specification.

Action Item: MDSHA and DCDOT are requested to submit ballot responses to Patti Kiehl of PennDOT by April 30th.

ITEM 9- STANDARD DIAPHRAGM DETAILS FOR CURVED GIRDER BRIDGES BY CHARLES PETTIE, VA- DOT

- VA-DOT moving to adopt LRFD, and will work with PA-DOT on these details.
- Will follow up for discussion at next meeting.

Action Item: Progress report at the next SCEF meeting.

ITEM 10- PROPOSED SCEF STANDARD FOR INSPECTING ANCHORAGES OF OVERHEAD SIGN SUPPORTS BY B. ABERNATHY, MD-SHA.

- B. Abernathy to send out ballots on the updated standard during the week of 2-13-06.
- Clerical change for Qualification Standards. No other issues.
- Ballots to be returned to B. Abernathy within a month and will be forwarded to L. Triandafilou.

Action Item: If not already done so, revised document and ballots are requested to be distributed to appropriate DOT personnel, for response to Bruce Abernathy by April 30th.
-

ITEM 11- AASHTO/NSBA STEEL BRIDGE COLLABORATION WORKSHOP IN MD, BY L. TRIANDAFILOU.

- One (1) day workshop scheduled for 4-28-06 at MD-SHA training room, behind 707 No. Calvert St.. This workshop is open to all consultants and fabrication shop personnel, as well as surrounding State DOTs. Room capacity is approximately 100.
- Bill McEleney of NSBA noted that the next collaboration meeting will be at the Holiday Inn; Baltimore, on the corner of South Howard and West Lombard streets, on 4-26/27-06. See www.steelbridge.org for details.
- The Fall collaboration meeting will be held in St. Louis or other location to be announced. (Not on the East Coast)
- Design engineer volunteers are needed from each Mid-Atlantic state to review Collaboration documents and determine commonality with SCEF standards.

ITEM 12- UPDATE ON ELECTRONIC DATA TRANSFER SUBCOMMITTEE BY S.KRAUSE AND K.GLIDDEN, HIGH STEEL STRUCTURES, INC

- Collaboration group set up for fabrication and design of shop drawings.
- High Steel Structures has received very positive feedback from various state DOT's on their in-house system including MD, VA, PA, and NYS.
- Several States adopting this program.
- An update will be given at the next SCEF meeting.
- NSBA has developed a designers' analytical model for use as a basis for automating the entire design and fabrication process. A single model will be implemented specifically for bridges. We will try to arrange a presentation on this concept at our next meeting.

Action Item: Update to be given at next SCEF meeting.

ITEM 13- STANDARD BRIDGE DESIGN AND DETAILS FOR SHORT SPAN PLATE GIRDERS AND ROLLED BEAMS BY WV-DOT

- Dr. Karl Barth is currently looking into standardizing details for the State, and is in the very early stages of preparation for documents. We will contact him about giving a presentation at our next SCEF meeting.

Action Item: Lou T. to contact Dr. Barth for possible presentation at next meeting.

 

ITEM 14- UPDATING OF SCEF STANDARDS BY ALL

- Book published in the mid-late 90's needs to be updated to include several standards that have been adopted since then. As noted under Item 11, key effort will be to compare SCEF standards with the more recent nationally adopted Steel Bridge Collaboration standards, and where commonality exists, defer to the national standards. This should be an on-going effort to make up-to-date modifications as required.
- A task group was established to begin reviewing typical details for stiffeners (transverse and longitudinal) and other details that are part of both standards. The group consists of Ahmed Mongi of WVDOH, Charles Pettie of VDOT, Tom Macioce of PennDOT and Doug Robb of DELDOT. Design representatives from MD and DC will also be asked to volunteer. Ahmed Mongi will chair this group.

Action Item: Task group will convene to review current SCEF standards in relation to AASHTO/NSBA Collaboration standards, and report on their progress at the next SCEF meeting.

ITEM 15- OTHER ISSUES

- Discussed overhead sign structure specifications in relation to sound walls in VA. It was noted that the base plates work free where the base plate has leveling nuts and two additional nuts above utilizing a double nut and heavy hex nut. The top and bottom nuts are tensioned by the turn of the nut method, which restricts the top nut from turning outward. With wind-load, the top two nuts are loosening due to installation procedures not being followed per B. Via- VA-DOT. Tightening procedures are detailed in the NCHRP Report 469. VDOT is working on a double nut tightening procedure for the top two nuts during installation.

- A pilot NHI training class (2 days) on inspecting structural supports for ancillary structures was recently hosted by VA-DOT, and MDSHA is scheduled to host it next month. Collins Engineering & P. Fish are instructors- UT of anchor rods to be covered. The overhead sign structure failures are primarily on the cantilever type structure.

- R. Medlock of TxDOT will discuss sign structure inspections (Tx. & OH) in the Metals session of the QAW on Wednesday 2-8-06.
- Also discussed, were the flat sign panels vs. extruded panels for overhead sign structures. Hand tightening procedures utilized.

As an additional follow-up item since the meeting, we had been notified by High Steel Structures, Inc. (HSS) of changes affecting W36 beams with 16-1/2" flanges. Nucor-Yamato Steel (NYS) had outlined changes to the series of beams W36 x 230 through W36 x 798 sections. New section sizes need to be used immediately.

Metric projects should include English designations in remarks both when detailing and ordering. For metric jobs in the foreseeable future, the English equivalent should be specified in parentheses following the metric designation. One of the metric designations (W920 x 345) appears with both 16" and 12" flanges.

Engineers will need to be contacted if the job was designed using the old shapes. The depth of the new sections is about 5/8" more, so the Engineer will need to decide if pad elevations should be lowered or if it will be taken up in the haunch or deck.

Action Item: Designers should contact NYS or HSS with any questions concerning these revisions.


Next SCEF Meeting will be held during the week of 8-28-06, tentatively at the MDSHA District office in Buckeystown.

ITEM 16- MEETING ADJOURNED

 

PREPARED BY: FRANK M. ADRAGNA
NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTING SERVICES, INC.

FHWA Resource Center logo
yellow circle
CONTACT US
staff / phones

Technical Service Teams
Air Quality

Civil Rights

Construction & Project Mgmt

Environment

Finance Services

Geotechnical

Hydraulics

Operations

Pavement & Materials

Planning

Safety & Design

Structures

FHWA Logo

FHWA Home | Feedback
United States Department of Transportation · Federal Highway Administration