United States Department of Transportation - Federal Highway Administration FHWA Home Feedback
   CALENDAR OF EVENTS divider TRAINING divider TECHNOLOGY DEPLOYMENT divider TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE
   Home   divider  end of menu

Photo:  Multiple bridges

Structures Home
space image
Structures Solutions/Best Practices
space image
Structures Training
space image
Structures Newsletters & Publications
space image
Structures Media Center
space image
Structures Calendar
space image
Structures Links
space image

POLICY
space image
 

FHWA Resource Center

STRUCTURES TEAM

MID-ATLANTIC STATES STRUCTURAL COMMITTEE FOR ECONOMIC FABICATION MEETING (SCEF)



MID-ATLANTIC STATES STRUCTURAL COMMITTEE FOR ECONOMIC FABICATION MEETING (SCEF)
FEBRUARY 11, 2003
HOLIDAY INN CHARLESTON HOUSE
CHARLESTON, WEST VIRGINIA

MEETING MINUTES
1. Introductions and Opening Remarks

Mr. Lou Triandafilou of the FHWA convened the meeting at 8:00 AM. The participants were welcomed and asked to give a self-introduction. A copy of the current mailing list was circulated among the attendees and they were asked to verify the information and make necessary corrections. Copies of the current Subcommittee lists were also distributed, with a request that attendees volunteer to serve on appropriate ones.

An announcement of the untimely passing of Mr. John Brunell was made and followed by a moment of silence. John was employed by the West Virginia DOT in the Structures Division and was a very active member of the group.

Mr. Triandafilou noted that this year we were meeting in conjunction with the 36th Annual Mid-Atlantic States’ Quality Assurance Workshop. Discussion that followed indicated that this was a good idea and should be repeated on an annual basis.


2. Approval of Minutes from April 3,2002 Meeting in West Atlantic City, New Jersey


Mr. Triandafilou asked if there were any additions or deletions to the minutes from the April 3,2002 meeting held in West Atlantic City , NJ.

A motion was made, seconded and carried to accept the minutes as written.


3A. AISC Task Force on Minor Bridge Component Certification

Ms. Anna Petroski from Quality Management Company, LLC gave an update on the status of the Minor Bridge Component Certification Program she is developing for AISC. The certification has been changed from a line-by-line checklist to a standard format. The program will include QC/QA provisions and a core quality management system. Some of the components covered in the certification were bridge railings/barriers, bearings, drainage assemblies, grid decks, walkways, expansion joints, overhead sign supports and piles.
Two suppliers have volunteered as beta test sites for the new program, with audits to begin this June. Overall, the program is anticipated to be more economical for suppliers of the above items, rather than going through the Simple Bridge Program.

(Note: As follow-up to this discussion, Anna has scheduled a meeting of the Component Task Group, to be held the afternoon of May 13th in Portland, ME. This will precede the meeting of the National Steel Bridge Collaboration, where the draft document is scheduled to be presented.)


3B. Standardization of Design/Fabrication of Overhead Sign Supports

Mr. Tom Macioce with PADOT gave an update on the results of the survey that the SCEF Sign Task Force conducted. Items addressed on the survey were welding code; CVN requirements for pipe chords, gusset plates and base plates; electronic shop drawings, and general discussion. The states that responded to the survey were PADOT, NJDOT, MDSHA, DELDOT and VADOT. (Note: A copy of the completed survey is attached).

The following items are to be discussed at the next task force meeting: column base plates, bolted truss connections, welded pipe-to-pipe connections, sign attachment to chords, and design Issues.

As an additional point of information, it was noted that Valmont Industries recently held a meeting with the Oklahoma DOT to discuss implementation of the AASHTO 2001 Design Specifications for Sign Supports, etc. Issues included the following: size and cost of members designed using this code will nearly double, due to fatigue considerations; most states have not implemented the 2001 code; the ConnDOT had an overhead sign failure, and as a result, reversed their position to adopt the Specification.

The Chairman asked for volunteers from MDSHA, NYSDOT, VADOT or WVDOT to assist OK DOT in a review of their state program. The intent would be to try to convince current commissioners that an inspection program of these structures would be cost-effective in ensuring the safety of the traveling public.

4. Status of Mid-Atlantic Regional Technician Certification Program (MARTCP) and Transportation Curriculum Coordination Council (TCCC)

Mr. Woody Hood with MDSHA made a presentation updating the Certification program. (Note: A copy of the presentation is attached). Woody passed around a copy of the Pavement Marking Manual. This manual was the first training program to be promoted
by the FHWA under TCCC and has been distributed nationwide. VDOT’s Pavement Marking program was used as a guide for development under MARTCP.

Mr. Triandafilou surveyed the states present at the meeting and all states agreed that SCEF should take the lead in supporting TCCC development of training for high strength bolt installers for overhead sign structures. Also discussed was SCEF’s preference for including field welding inspection training as part of the current program for concrete and steel bridge construction inspectors. Inherent in this issue is the need to resolve whether a formal agreement among the states is necessary to suspend a card-carrying worker from the entire region, if suspended from only 1 state.

Woody passed around the June 2002 Activity Plan which listed current Work Plan Activities of the TCCC with descriptions and product delivery dates. (Note: A copy of the Activity Plan is attached).

(Note: as follow-up to this item, Woody has noted that the TCCC has agreed to have SCEF take the lead on developing the bolt installer training. By copy of these minutes, we are soliciting volunteers to participate in a task group for this effort. It is intended that this group meet after the next SCEF meeting to discuss the extent of this effort).


5. Break


6A. Subcommittee Status Report on Large Movement Expansion Joints

The states were asked for their votes on whether or not to adopt proposed SCEF 109. This is a written text portion of the specification, with standard detail drawings to follow at a later date. VDOT voted to accept; PADOT voted not to approve because of the water absorption value for trough composite properties, and because of immersion test requirements; MDSHA also voted not to approve because of the following issues: a) they use a closed-cell foam sealer under their tooth joints, which is not included in SCEF 109, b) they do not require joint manufacturers to be certified to AISC major bridge category, and c) they require trough material to conform to AASHTO M220, with exceptions that do not match those in section 109.2.8.3. They do have an alternate material and may consider others in the future.

Mr. Triandafilou asked for comments from the other states represented at the meeting, and received none. Based on today’s discussion, he set an action item for the subcommittee to reconvene before the next SCEF meeting, attempt to resolve differences in the first balloting, and to craft a consensus document. The intent would be for a revised ballot to be distributed to the States with the notice for the next meeting.

Mr. Triandafilou has received a request for information on how to design a tooth joint on a curved, skewed alignment where the movement from one unit is much larger than the movement from the other unit. Anyone with experience with a similar situation is requested to contact Lou.


6B. Subcommittee Status report on Bearings

Ms. Patti Kiehl with PADOT made a presentation on the PADOT Pot Bearing Standard. This is a pool fund study with PADOT as the lead state. PADOT will be requesting other states to participate in the study in the near future. At present time, the dimensions on the standard are furnished by PADOT. The Contractor does not have the option to re-design the bearing but he can submit a change through the VE process. Patti can furnish copies of the PADOT Pot Bearing Standard on request. (Note: a copy of the presentation is attached)

With Barrie Atkinson stepping down as Chairman of this subcommittee, an appeal was made for a new person to step as chair.

(Note: Since this meeting, Patti has volunteered to be the new chairperson).


6C. Subcommittee Status Report on Structural Coatings

Mr. Paul Perkins with MDSHA gave an update on their October subcommittee meeting, which was attended by about 40 people. Ms. Sandy Compton with Industrial Galvanizers of Virginia gave a presentation on VDOT’s galvanizing program (approximately 230 bridges completed). Craig Ballinger gave a presentation on Terma-Rust technology. Joe Bracken and Dave Kuniega gave a talk on PennDOT’s experiences with metalizing. Paul has been in contact with the Midwest Paint Group concerning collaborative efforts and possible joint meetings. Other topics of discussion included use of organic zinc for shop prime coating; NEPCOAT and NEPOVERCOAT requirements; and availability of the AASHTO/NSBA document 8.1 on inorganic zinc prime coat in the shop.

Action items for the subcommittee to discuss at their next meeting include: field cleaning and painting galvanized fasteners; soluble salts and how critical they are to control, measure and remove; to overcoat or not overcoat; washing bridges before painting, and containing the washwater; and states’ coatings practices.

7. Update of AASHTO/NSBA Steel Bridge Collaboration Activities

Mr. Triandafilou gave a presentation on Achieving Quality and Value in Steel Bridges. (Copy of the presentation is attached). Lou requested that each state review and update the AASHTO/NSBA Document Implementation Survey and return to him. The last update was October 18, 2002. A list of success stories involving Owner/Fabricator Resolution of Problems was passed out by Lou. Each State and Fabricator was also asked to review and submit new success stories from their projects.


8. FHWA/State DOT/Industry Comments on AASHTO/NSBA Collaboration Documents

Mr. Triandafilou asked each State to go to the web site www.steelbridge.org and review and comment on the ballot G12.1 - 2002, Guidelines for Design for Constructability and the ballot G9.1 - 2002, Guide Specification for Steel Bridge Bearing Design and Detailing.


9. Standard Format for WPS’s and PQR’s - PADOT

Mr. Joe Bracken, PADOT, reviewed the Welding Procedure Specification form that PADOT is using. Joe covered a number of enhancements that had been incorporated into the form to ensure that all pertinent information is included. Mr. Triandafilou received approval from the States to process this as a SCEF Document. Lou asked the States to review and provide comments back to Joe within one month. A recommendation was made that, after SCEF approval, the document would be sent to the AASHTO/NSBA Steel Bridge Collaboration and AWS for adoption.


10. Curved I-girder Bridge Detailing Practices - A Case Study

Dr. Christopher Earls with University of Pittsburgh made a presentation on the construction of the Ford City Veterans Bridge. Erection issues in the form of displacements, stresses and instabilities were investigated using Finite Element Model analysis. (A copy of the presentation is attached).


11. Other Issues

PADOT has contracted with Lehigh University for a Fatigue Fracture Training class. The training is free and available on March 3&4, 17&18, and April 14&15.

The recent issue of AISI Steel Bridge News highlighted the ongoing construction of 33 HPS bridges as part of the Route 3 design/build project in MA.

The next Steel Bridge Forum will be held in Pittsburgh on June 11th, as part of the International Bridge Conference. Future forums are tentatively set for Albany in September and Raleigh in October.

The next full SCEF meeting will be convened either during the week of Aug. 25th or Sept. 2nd. The location will be determined later.


12. Adjournment

FHWA Resource Center logo
yellow circle
CONTACT US
staff / phones

Technical Service Teams
Air Quality

Civil Rights

Construction & Project Mgmt

Environment

Finance Services

Geotechnical

Hydraulics

Operations

Pavement & Materials

Planning

Safety & Design

Structures

FHWA Logo

FHWA Home | Feedback
United States Department of Transportation · Federal Highway Administration